Fwd: Moonlit Road

  • (no from line)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22 4:27 PM
      This may be of interest to some subscribers...nice site...aj wright

      October 1999

      Happy Halloween!

      It's that time of year again. Actually, I guess you could say every
      day is Halloween for the staff of The Moonlit Road. We hope you have
      a safe and creepy weekend.

      This year, we have a very special story we hope you will enjoy. Dare
      we say it's our masterpiece? (cue chest thumping sound effects)

      This story takes a bit more concentration and imagination, so it may
      not be suitable for the very young ones. But we think you'll find
      your listening experience to be very rewarding.

      Once again, our stories can be heard this month on public radio
      stations throughout Georgia. We are hoping to be picked up by other
      stations across the country. When we have a schedule available, we'll
      send it to you. If you live within one of the coverage areas, we hope
      you will tune us in, and support the stations that support us.

      All the Best,

      Craig Dominey Producer,
      The Moonlit Road

      I. What's New on The Moonlit Road
      II. The Moonlit Road Storytellers - Live
      III. The Moonlit Road - On the Radio
      IV. Feature Story
      V. A Final Thought

      - For Halloween, we are proud to present the story that our site was
      named after: the classic ghost story by Ambrose Bierce, "The Moonlit
      Road." It's an eerie story of murder and haunted souls in Tennessee,
      and is one of the most beloved ghost stories in modern literature.

      It is rare to hear an audio version of this story, and we've pulled
      out all the stops. Along with one of our favorite storytellers, John
      Gentile, "The Moonlit Road" also features two actors from the Atlanta
      Radio Theatre Company -Thomas Fuller and Trudy Leonard. It also
      features an eerie music score by composer Michael Thomas.

      "The Moonlit Road" is 27 minutes long, and can be heard in one piece
      or chapter by chapter. You can find it now at:

      You can now discuss the stories with others on our Message Boards.
      We've created these boards to provide you a place to meet and share
      your own experiences and stories. You can find the Message Boards for
      "The Moonlit Road" at:

      - We've recently created an archive of our past newsletters. If
      you're ever looking for a story you read in one of our newsletters,

      To print the newsletter, follow the instructions for printing stories
      found on our FAQs page.

      If you live in the Atlanta area, you can catch Veronica Byrd, Jim
      McAmis, and other storytellers from The Moonlit Road spinning creepy
      tales of spooks, ghosts and things that go bump in the night.

      - Historic Halloween
      October 29-30, 1999
      Atlanta History Center
      130 West Paces Ferry Road
      Atlanta, GA 30305

      Oct. 29, 4-8 p.m. $4 for adults and kids 6-17. Free for kids in
      costume, kids 5 and under and Atlanta History Center members.

      Oct. 30, 2-6:30 p.m. $10 adults, $8 for students 18+ and seniors 65+,
      $4 for youths 6-17, $3 for History Center members, free for costumed
      children and kids 5 and under. (price includes museum admission)

      - Margaret Mitchell House and Museum
      Oct. 30, 7-9 p.m.
      999 Peachtree St., Atlanta.
      FREE Admission!

      For more information on these events, check:

      Stories from The Moonlit Road can be heard this month on the following

      NOTE: Since this is public radio, programming is subject to change.

      88.5 and 93.7-FM, Boulder, Colorado
      99.9-FM, Ft. Collins and Northern Colorado
      October 25, 8-9pm (Mountain),
      (part of Art Aloud program)
      You can also listen on the web at:

      Peach State Public Radio - Georgia NPR Network
      1-2pm October 22, 24, 29, 31
      (part of Georgia Gazette program)
      Albany: 91.7 FM, WUNV
      Athens: 91.7/97.9 FM, WUGA
      Augusta: 90.7 FM, WACG
      Brunswick: 89.1 FM, WWIO
      Carrollton: 90.7 FM, WWGC
      Columbus: 88.1 FM, WJSP
      Demorest: 88.3 FM, WPPR
      Dahlonega: 89.5 FM, WNGU
      Fort Gaines: 90.9 FM, WJWV
      Macon: 89.7 FM, WDCO
      Savannah: 91.1 FM, WSVH
      Tifton: 91.1 FM, WABR
      Valdosta: 91.7 FM, WWET
      Waycross: 90.1 FM, WXVS

      WRFG 89.3-FM, Atlanta, GA
      Tuesday, October 26, 7-9pm
      (part of Buckdancer's Choice program)

      By Craig Dominey
      Copyright 1999 All Rights Reserved

      As automobile travel became commonplace, tourist traffic began posing
      a threat to the canyon. A proposed network of roadways focused on
      bringing more people into the canyon and expanding its commercial
      possibilities. Private investors drew up plans for housing
      subdivisions and resorts near the fragile canyon rim. Sewage disposal
      and erosion were but two of the problems looming over the canyon in
      the face of such development.

      In 1960, an amusement park called Canyonland was constructed near the
      canyon mouth, complete with chair lift, carnival rides and a petting
      zoo. Although Canyonland shut down in the mid-1980s, its rusty chair
      lift towers still scar the landscape.

      As traffic increased, trash began accumulating on the canyon floor.
      Despite the park's efforts to erect guardrails, visitors and locals
      alike still found ways to dump household garbage and old furniture
      over the bluffs. "Everything a human being would want to throw away
      was down there," recalls Bill Adams, a member of the Fischer Rescue

      Little River Canyon became the center of unwanted national attention
      in 1982, when the body of 13-year-old Lisa Ann Millican was found on
      the canyon floor. Abducted from a Rome shopping mall, Millican had
      been tortured, shot in the back, and pushed off one of the canyon's
      bluffs. Judith Ann and Alvin Neelley, two out-of-state drifters, were
      eventually convicted of her murder. But the gruesome discovery only
      contributed to the canyon's sinister reputation in the eyes of some.
      "It sort of rubbed people wrong that the canyon should be associated
      with it," says Adams. "As if the canyon caused the murder."

      The final straw came a few years later, when a rumor circulated that
      Georgia's Chattooga County was going to place a landfill at the
      headwater of Little River. This threat galvanized a group of local
      citizens into forming Friends of Little River, an organization
      dedicated to the development of a canyon protection plan.

      Friends of Little River found an ally in Congressman Tom Bevill, who
      had been searching for possible federal preserve sites in his home
      state. In 1989, Bevill introduced a bill that would fund a
      preliminary federal study of DeSoto State Park for possible inclusion
      in the park system. President Bush signed the bill later that year,
      granting $150,000 for the project.

      Meanwhile, Friends of Little River organized a small volunteer cleanup
      around at the north end of the canyon. Within a few hours,
      twenty-five workers removed over four truckloads of garbage. Among
      the impressed onlookers was Talmadge Butler, superintendent of DeSoto
      State Park. "I think our success gave Talmadge the energy and
      excitement to try and tackle the whole canyon," says Disney.

      Later that year, Butler formed a separate group called the Little
      River Canyon Cleaning Committee. His goal was to organize an annual,
      large-scale cleanup combining public interest with professional
      know-how. He had little trouble finding volunteers; canoe clubs,
      hiking clubs and environmental groups had long been concerned about
      the canyon's rapid deterioration. Local fire and rescue squads
      immediately volunteered their services. Due to extensive media
      coverage, individuals and families from across the South journeyed to
      the park to help. By the morning of the first annual "Spring Canyon
      Cleaning," over 200 volunteers had arrived at Butler's doorstep.

      A daring mission...

      "In 25 years, I've never found a haunted house - just haunted people."

      Joe Nickell
      Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal