Re:

  • Margaret Eakin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 1999
      I, too, am interested in a family living on Indian lands prior to the Creek
      Cession. The family name was Lewis. Daniel B. Lewis founded Lewisville (later
      Louisville), and deeded the land where Clayton now stands. This are is in
      present day Barbour County. Daniel died in 1833 and his will listed among his
      heirs:

      Kendall Lewis --- who served with Benjamin Hawkins when Hawkins was Indian Agent
      to tribes south of the Ohio. Kendall married an Indian woman and ran a inn near
      Fort Bainbridge. This family migrated to Titus County Texas sometime in the
      1830s.

      Others who inherited were John E. Lewis, Harrison W. Lewis (who migrated to
      Arkansas), Mary, Catherine, and Seabourne L. Lewis. Seabourne migrated to the
      Coastal Bend area of Texas and is the person in whom I have the most interest
      but the least information.

      Any information about any of these family members will be greatly appreciated.

      Margaret Eakin

      --
      MZ�