Re: Alabama Counties- The Black Belt

  • Buddy Sledge
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 1999
      From what I have read, the term Black Belt refers to the Black
      prairie that stretches across Alabama from Macon county west
      over into central Mississippi around the Columbus area. However,
      some historians have also used the term to refer to the
      predominantly Black, plantation belt roughly following along the
      same geographical area. By definition #1, I don't think Barbour
      county would fit, although it certainly would using the second
      definition.

      Buddy Sledge
      Truett-McConnell College