Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • Buddy Sledge
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
      While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
      Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
      Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
      Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
      might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
      Historical Society.

      Best of Luck -

      Buddy Sledge
      Truett-McConnell College
    • b1nchc08
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
        Hi,
        I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
        attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
        attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
        Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
        is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
        well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
        shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
        is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
        heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
        am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
        the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
        United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
        that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
        proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
        hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
        Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
        Hence my signature to know more.
        JP