Alabama Counties- The Black Belt

  • mellis@mail.lesley.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
      Greetings:

      I am researching the plantation system in the Black Belt
      counties of Alabama, especially Lowndes County.
      I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations
      on how to get started. If anyone is aware of any scholars,
      texts and/or journals that could help me in my research,
      please let me know.

      I have a dual interest in this topic.
      First, my maternal grandparents are from Lowndes County.
      Second, from my B.A. to ED.D,
      from the University of Massachusetts at Ahmerst
      my research has always been of a historical nature.

      Please e-mail me. Thanks.
    • Mark Palmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
        You might want to check the listing of Alabama theses and dissertations at the web site of the Alabama Department of Archives and History (http://www.archives.state.al.us/whatsnew/theses/)

        Some titles of interest listed there include:

        Carter, Kit C. "A Critical Analysis of the Basis of Party Alignment in Lowndes County, Alabama, 1836-1860." Master's thesis,
        University of Alabama, 1961.

        Flewellen, Robert Hardaway. "The Nativity and Economic Status of the Free Inhabitants in the Alabama Black Belt in 1850."
        Master's thesis, University of Alabama, 1940.

        Kiger, Joseph C. "Some Social and Economic Factors Relative to the Antebellum Alabama Large Planter." Master's thesis,
        University of Alabama, 1947.

        That's as far as I got before web traffic clogged up.
        From: mellis@...

        Greetings:

        I am researching the plantation system in the Black Belt
        counties of Alabama, especially Lowndes County.
        I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations
        on how to get started. If anyone is aware of any scholars,
        texts and/or journals that could help me in my research,
        please let me know.

        I have a dual interest in this topic.
        First, my maternal grandparents are from Lowndes County.
        Second, from my B.A. to ED.D,
        from the University of Massachusetts at Ahmerst
        my research has always been of a historical nature.

        Please e-mail me. Thanks.

        Archives for the list can be viewed at
        http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
      • fitz@xxxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 1999
          With respect to Mr. Palmer's question about Lowndes County
          plantations, could I (modestly) suggest a look at chapter five of my book, The
          Union League Movement in the Deep South. Might be of interest for the
          general impact of the politicization of the enfranchised freedpeople
          on the plantations. I don't have much on Lowndes County, but do spend
          a lot of time on trends in rural Alabama as a whole.

          Might be helpful on some of the primary sources on Reconstruction too.

          Hope that is of use,

          MIchael Fitzgerald
          fitz@...

          > From: "Mark Palmer" <MPalmer@...>
          >
          > You might want to check the listing of Alabama theses and dissertations at the web site of the Alabama Department of Archives and History (http://www.archives.state.al.us/whatsnew/theses/)
          >
          > Some titles of interest listed there include:
          >
          > Carter, Kit C. "A Critical Analysis of the Basis of Party Alignment in Lowndes County, Alabama, 1836-1860." Master's thesis,
          > University of Alabama, 1961.
          >
          > Flewellen, Robert Hardaway. "The Nativity and Economic Status of the Free Inhabitants in the Alabama Black Belt in 1850."
          > Master's thesis, University of Alabama, 1940.
          >
          > Kiger, Joseph C. "Some Social and Economic Factors Relative to the Antebellum Alabama Large Planter." Master's thesis,
          > University of Alabama, 1947.
          >
          > That's as far as I got before web traffic clogged up.
          > From: mellis@...
          >
          > Greetings:
          >
          > I am researching the plantation system in the Black Belt
          > counties of Alabama, especially Lowndes County.
          > I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations
          > on how to get started. If anyone is aware of any scholars,
          > texts and/or journals that could help me in my research,
          > please let me know.
          >
          > I have a dual interest in this topic.
          > First, my maternal grandparents are from Lowndes County.
          > Second, from my B.A. to ED.D,
          > from the University of Massachusetts at Ahmerst
          > my research has always been of a historical nature.
          >
          > Please e-mail me. Thanks.
          >
          > Archives for the list can be viewed at
          > http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
          >
          > > Archives for the list can be viewed at
          > http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory

        • Margaret Eakin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 1999
            I'm unfamiliar with the term "Black Belt" in re Alabama geography. Is Barbour County included in this area?

            --
            MZ�
          • Buddy Sledge
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 1999
              From what I have read, the term Black Belt refers to the Black
              prairie that stretches across Alabama from Macon county west
              over into central Mississippi around the Columbus area. However,
              some historians have also used the term to refer to the
              predominantly Black, plantation belt roughly following along the
              same geographical area. By definition #1, I don't think Barbour
              county would fit, although it certainly would using the second
              definition.

              Buddy Sledge
              Truett-McConnell College