Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
      I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
      Quarterly Editor.

      From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

      Hi!

      I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

      Jean

      alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
      >
      > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
      >
      > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
      >
      > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
      >
      > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
      > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
      > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
      > School of Medicine
      > University of Alabama at Birmingham
      >
      > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

      Archives for the list can be viewed at
      http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
    • Buddy Sledge
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
        While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
        Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
        Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
        Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
        might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
        Historical Society.

        Best of Luck -

        Buddy Sledge
        Truett-McConnell College
      • b1nchc08
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
          Hi,
          I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
          attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
          attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
          Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
          is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
          well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
          shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
          is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
          heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
          am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
          the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
          United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
          that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
          proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
          hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
          Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
          Hence my signature to know more.
          JP
[...]

          As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.