Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • Jean LeVitt
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi!

      I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

      Jean

    • mlstarns@xxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
        Hi Jean

        I grew up in the shadow of Woodward Iron Company, It is now called
        Koppers. You can still see the company houses and some of the stores
        near the plant. It is in the Dolomite Community of Birmingham in Western
        Jefferson co. I live near there still.

        I hope this helps you some. If you need more information let me know
        maybe I can help some.

        Mary

        On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:19:28 -0500 Jean LeVitt <jgml@...> writes:
        > From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>
        >
        > Hi!
        >
        > I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town
        > for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't
        > know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for
        > the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward.
        > My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone
        > knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be
        > happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.
        >
        > Jean

      • Margaret Eakin
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
          1. Click on the following URL to see photos of the Woodward Iron Company

          http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hh1.html

          2. This one's info on the Woodward family.

          http://www.artsbma.org/g2hitt.html

          3. The attached site from the U.S. Geologic Survey shows the location
          of Woodward. You might explore this site further for other info of
          interest --- it also shows the location of historical features (mills,
          ferries, schools) that no longer exist.

          http://mapping.usgs.gov:8888/gnis/owa/MapServer?f_name=Woodward&f_state=AL&f_latlong=332607N0865729W&f_type=ppl&server=TIGER

          Hope this info is helpful to anyone on the list interested in Woodward Iron Company. I have other sites that reference photos � especially of a locomotive that was built specially for the Company.

          Margaret Eakin

          --
          MZ�
        • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
            I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
            Quarterly Editor.

            From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

            Hi!

            I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

            Jean

            alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
            >
            > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
            >
            > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
            >
            > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
            >
            > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
            >
            > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
            > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
            > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
            > School of Medicine
            > University of Alabama at Birmingham
            >
            > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

            Archives for the list can be viewed at
            http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
          • Buddy Sledge
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
              While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
              Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
              Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
              Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
              might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
              Historical Society.

              Best of Luck -

              Buddy Sledge
              Truett-McConnell College
            • b1nchc08
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
                Hi,
                I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
                attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
                attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
                Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
                is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
                well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
                shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
                is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
                heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
                am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
                the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
                United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
                that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
                proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
                hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
                Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
                Hence my signature to know more.
                JP
[...]

                As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.