AHF events enhancing state's offerings

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Alabama Humanities Foundation <news@...>
      Date: Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM
      Subject: AHF events enhancing state's offerings
      To: wrightaj21@...

      ABOUT US
      June 2013

      AHF events enhancing state's offerings

      Upcoming Alabama Humanities Foundation events are taking participants to Normandy, back in time to Alabama in 1863, behind the scenes of To Kill a Mockingbird and looking ahead to how higher education can shape our future.

      And that's just in June as part of the impressive program line-up that defines our mission here at AHF -- Enhancing Minds. Enriching Lives.

      Our SUPER Teacher Institute season begins in Birmingham --

      June 20: The History, Culture and Literature of Normandy
      Led by: Catherine Danielou, Ph.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham.
      Co-sponsored by: UAB

      Read more about the institute.

      Also on June 20, John Kvach will take us inside Alabama in a tumultuous time with The Emancipation Proclamation in Wartime Alabama, 1863.

      At the Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery from noon to 1 p.m., the public is invited to bring a sack lunch and participate in this hour-long session on Alabama history.

      The presentation is part of the ArchiTreats series, which is designed to commemorate significant events in our state's history and is made possible through the AHF grants program.

      Read more about this and other programs AHF brings to fruition across Alabama through its grants.

      June 23-26, teachers from around the state will travel to Monroeville for Mockingbird Moments: A Study of the Novel and Film.

      One of the most popular institutes, it enables teachers to delve in-depth into this literary classic, giving them an opportunity to enhance the teaching of it when they return home to their classrooms.

      Led by Nancy Grisham Anderson of Auburn University Montgomery, it is co-sponsored by AUM, Alabama Southern Community College and the Monroe County Museum.

      Learn more about Mockingbird Moments.

      Sign up key people for AHF's e-news

      Chances are likely that if you are reading this, you and your organization have a vested interest in the humanities in Alabama. Why not share the good news?

      Our electronic newsletter, eMosaic, is delivered straight to your email inbox every month, and you can share it with other key people in your organization and in your circle.

      It's easy. Just register the intended recipients online, and we'll deliver it to them, too.

      Keep the key people of your organization abreast of myriad events, programs and opportunities AHF has to offer across our state all year long.

      Sign up today. It's just a click away.

      K-6 teacher scholarships available

      In Saraland, students sifted for real gems to better understand pioneer history in our country. In Lamar County, they interviewed older residents for an oral history to learn firsthand what life was like generations ago.

      Auburn children learned the value behind voting in a special project on the democratic process. And in Florence, an entire elementary school benefited from a character education program called, "Be at your Best."

      The common thread in all four of those programs was the scholarship that made them possible. Awarded through AHF, the Jenice Riley Memorial Scholarship seeks to reward innovative teaching that provides the 'extras' that enhance the classroom experience for students throughout Alabama.

      The deadline for applying for these $1,000 scholarships awarded each year to K-6 teachers is Aug. 19, and teachers may apply online or learn more about this program that truly makes a difference in classrooms across our state every year.

      Whetstone-Seaman Symposium June 26
      Join us June 26 in Tuscaloosa as Alabama Humanities Foundation and David Mathews Center for Civic Life host the 2013 Whetstone/Seaman Symposium at The University of Alabama to honor the winner of the Whetstone/Seaman Faculty Development Award, Rekha Nath.

      The symposium will be held in the Ferguson Center Theater from 9 until noon and will serve as an opportunity for public deliberation on the topic, "Shaping Our Future:
      How Should Higher Education Help
      Us Create the Society We Want?
      Deliberation will be guided using an issue book developed by the National Issues Forums Institute.

      Nath is professor of Philosophy at The University of Alabama and will be a speaker at the symposium along with Chris McCauley, executive director of the David Mathews Center and Mark Wilson, director of Civic Learning Initiatives, College of Liberal Arts, Auburn University.

      The Whetstone/Seaman Faculty Development Award is a biennial essay competition open to all non-tenured humanities scholars who hold positions at Alabama colleges and universities. A jury of humanities scholars selects the top six essays. The author of the most outstanding paper receives a $3,000 scholar development grant and the runner-up receives a $1,500 scholar development grant. Dr. Bob Whetstone; his wife, Janelle Whetstone; and his sister, Janet Seaman, fund the award.

      After the symposium, the top essays will be published in AHF's online journal, Alabama Humanities Review, and circulated to libraries and other scholarly venues.

      Applications for the 2015 Whetstone-Seaman competition will be available in the fall of 2014. Learn more about it here.

      Do you know your

      poet laureate?

      Andrew Glaze (born April 21, 1920) is an American poet, playwright, and novelist. About him, Robert Frost wrote, “I have high hopes for Mr. Glaze”. Although much of Glaze's poetry reflects his coming of age in the South, and eventual return there, he also lived in New York City for 31 years. The poetry he wrote during this time captured a verbal photograph of life in Manhattan, and while living there he became part of a circle of poets that included Oscar Williams, Norman Rosten, John Ciardi, and William Packard.

      Read more about Andrew Glaze.

      The Road Scholars Speakers Bureau provides public presentations and lectures on a variety of humanities topics. Designed to educate and entertain, the programs are presented by Alabama’s most enlightening university and independent scholars.

      AHF creates and fosters opportunities to explore human values and meanings through the humanities. As the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, we offer the humanities to Alabamians to enhance their minds and enrich their lives.

      What Are the Humanities?

      Visit our Membership Pageto find out how you can donate to the AHF.

      Contact Us
      Read Mosaic Magazine OnlineGet Mosaic Magazine in Print
      A product of Partners by Design