Ala. Humanities Foundation awards $84,000 in grants

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2013

      From: editor@... [editor@...] on behalf of Alabama Humanities Foundation [news@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:21 PM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: AHF awards $84,000 in grants

      ABOUT US
      May 2013

      AHF awards $84,000 in grants

      Imagine a field trip to the places that defined the Civil Rights Movement in Alabama without ever leaving your classroom -- Selma, Birmingham, cities and towns across the state where pivotal moments changed life in Alabama forever.

      Through a three-year Alabama Public Television project, Lessons From the Civil Rights Movement, middle and high school students across Alabama will take web-based electronic field trips to travel back to tumultuous times and historic places to gain greater insights.

      Using the latest technology, it is aimed at teaching civic engagement and citizenship and the $15,000 grant APT earned for the first year represents one of the major grants awarded by Alabama Humanities Foundation in 2013.

      This round of grant-giving saw more grant requests than ever before -- $207,400. And AHF was able to fill $84,600 of those needs.

      Read the complete list of grants to see just how far-reaching and diverse humanities projects are throughout Alabama and how these grants have the ability to enhance learning, strengthen critical thinking and enable a better understanding of the world around us.

      See the criteria and deadlines for AHF grants and apply during the next round of grants.

      Grants are an integral part of our role at AHF, and this is your opportunity to benefit from the dollars we offer to bring your humanities projects to fruition.

      We need your help

      Here at AHF, our mission is to encourage and promote appreciation of literature, history, law, philosophy and the arts through programs, events and grants.

      We see it as an opportunity to help others discover and share the meanings of life found through the humanities. The opportunities we provide through AHF are not free, but we see it as an investment, not a cost. We hope you will, too, and make that investment in the humanities today.

      No gift is too small in this worthy endeavor. See what yours can do:

      $5000 will underwrite the Smithsonian Museum on Main Street
      exhibition in one rural community.

      $1000 will provide a Jenice Riley Memorial Teacher Scholarship for
      classroom projects in history and community service.

      $500 will fund one week's room and board for a high school student in AHF's SUPER Emerging Scholars program.

      $250 will fund a Road Scholar Speakers Bureau presentation.

      $100 will pay for writer's honoraria for one article in the
      Encyclopedia of Alabama.

      $35 will help purchase books for SUPER Teacher Institutes and

      Giving is easy. Join us in promoting the humanities throughout Alabama by giving to AHF today.

      Don't miss upcoming events highlighting Alabama history

      Events heading to Montgomery and Demopolis this week reveal an inside look at just how deeply Alabama's roots run.

      Mark your calendar:

      May 16 -- Longleaf Pine: The Tree That Made Alabama

      Led by Bill Finch This program is a part of the 2013 ArchiTreats: Food for Thought series designed to commemorate significant events in our state.

      The public is invited to bring a sack lunch and to participate in an hour-long session on Alabama history.

      It will be held at the Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery from noon to 1 p.m.

      May 1 7 -- Working for Goldwyn: Demopolis Descends on Hollywood

      Place: The Marengo County History and Archives Museum, 101 North Walnut Ave., Demopolis, Alabama
      Time: 6 p.m.
      Admission: Free
      Info: Call 334.289.0599

      Two Demopolis descendants worked for Hollywood tycoon Sam Goldwyn: Arthur Mayer and Lillian Hellman. Both wrote memoirs of their unpredictable and hilarious experiences with the mogul. Hellman was a screenwriter for Goldwyn; Mayer was a copywriter of ads for his films. Hellman's theatrical and cinematic work earned Oscar and Tony nominations. Mayer was honored with a special luncheon by the Museum of Modern Art in New York City on his 85th birthday in 1971 for importing foreign film classics into the United States.

      During this event to celebrate Jewish History Month, Dr. Stuart Rockoff of the Goldring/Waldenburg Institute of Southern Jewish Life talks about the successes of Southern Jews in Hollywood. An Oscar nominated short documentary from the 1970s about Arthur Mayer and his wife Lillie, entitled "Arthur and Lillie," concludes the program. A champagne reception follows the film. Local partners are the Marengo County Historical Society and the Marengo County History and Archives Museum. Review details.

      Jenice Riley Memorial Scholarship applications due August 19

      Do you want to make a difference in your classroom but don't have the funds to make it reality? AHF is accepting applications for the annual Jenice Riley Memorial Scholarship, benefiting current kindergarten through sixth-grade teachers.

      Top elementary school teachers from around the state annually vie for this $1,000 scholarship to enhance their student's classroom experience. Innovative programs, materials and professional development are aimed at bringing history alive to their students and giving them an enhanced understanding of the humanities.

      The Road Scholars Speakers Bureau provides public presentations and lectures on a variety of humanities topics. Designed to educate and entertain, the programs are presented by Alabama’s most enlightening university and independent scholars.

      AHF creates and fosters opportunities to explore human values and meanings through the humanities. As the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, we offer the humanities to Alabamians to enhance their minds and enrich their lives.

      What Are the Humanities?

      Visit our Membership Page to find out how you can donate to the AHF.

      Contact Us
      Read Mosaic Magazine OnlineGet Mosaic Magazine in Print
      A product of Partners by Design