Troy Art Exhibits: Walter Black and MoseTolliver

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2013

      From: Johnson Center for the Arts <morgan@...>
      To: anesuab <anesuab@...>
      Sent: Mon, May 13, 2013 10:36 am
      Subject: Exhibit Reception This Thursday! Walter Black and MoseT

        mosetwalterblack

      Greetings!
      Join us this Thursday evening as we celebrate two exhibits at the Johnson Center for the Arts. 2012 Best of Show Winner Walter Black exhibits his newest pieces of art in the lower galleries. The MoseT exhibit in the upper galleries has more than 120 pieces on display from the collection of Doug Hawkins. Both of these exquisite collections are more than worth a trip to the museum to see. They will only be on display until May 31.

      We hope you make plans to join us this Thursday, May 16, from 6 - 8 p.m., at the Johnson Center for the Arts to visit with artist Walter Black and collector Doug Hawkins.

      See you on Thursday,
      Morgan Drinkard
      Director, Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center
      2012 TroyFest Best of Show Winner
      Walter Black
      Now - May 31

      Black received his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Troy University. His work covers an array of mediums and techniques, including clay, watercolor, drawing, digital design and sculpture. Black has exhibited in a variety of spaces including the Montgomery Museum of Fine Art, the Wiregrass Museum, and at the University of Alabama. He has won numerous juried art festivals, including multiple "Best in Show" and purchase awards, along with several other honorable accolades. Black has worked as a studio artist, creating, selling and presenting his artwork for years.

      Artist Statement: "Contrast is intriguing. Especially that between industrial design and natural forms. I use clay to illustrate the battle between these two forces. I imagine my recent work as bio-mechanical weaponry, dug up fifty years post war. It is taking on an element of dark mystery that draws the viewer in cautiously."

      walterblack2

      walterblack1

      MoseTGallery
      As MoseT Would See It: Expressions Through the Life of Moses Tolliver on Loan from the Collection of Dr. R. Douglas Hawkins
      Now - May 31

      Dr. R. Douglas Hawkins, of Troy, Alabama, has been a long time folk art collector including works from MoseT, Charlie Lucas, Woodie Long Jimmy Lee Sudduth and Betty Sue Matthews.

      Hawkins says, "I would often travel to Tolliver's home in Montgomery carrying him scrap wood and pieces of furniture while visiting with his family. I was always surprised how he sat on the bed painting, always had a smile on his face and always waited on the money." Hawkins began his collection in the early 1990s, but his collection dates from the early 1970s until the year of Tolliver's passing in 2006.

      Hawkins continues to call Tolliver's work a prime example of outsider art saying that, "his expressions of things, animals and people show a very different picture of things."

       MoseT1
      Visit the Johnson Center for the Arts
      The Johnson Center for the Arts is housed in a renovated 1910 U.S. Post Office in Downtown Troy. The more than 10,000 square foot building is an architectural beauty. Throughout the year, the Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center, our non-profit organization, works with an exhibition committee to set the exhibition schedule for the year. Our mission is to provide exposure to and education in the arts.

      Admission is always free of charge thanks to our members and gracious sponsors. The museum is open Wednesday - Friday from 10:00 - 5:00 and on Saturday from 10:00 - 3:00. We would be more than happy to provide a tour for you and your family members and friends if you call at least a day in advance.

      Museum Hours: Wednesday - Friday 10:00 - 5:00, Saturday 10:00 - 3:00
      Address: 300 East Walnut Street Troy, Alabama

      Johnson Center for the Arts | 300 East Walnut Street | Troy | AL | 36081