Alabama Heritage editors on the road

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11 9:25 AM

      Alabama Heritage Editors Witness and Celebrate History

      Alabama_Heritage_Scottsboro

      Editors from Alabama Heritage have been extremely busy this spring. Besides attending conferences, we were present for the historic pardoning and exoneration of the Scottsboro Boys by Gov. Robert Bentley. We had the honor of meeting Aggie Kapelman, whose father David Schriftman was one of the attorneys who represented the boys. Because of his participation in the trial, Schriftman was kidnapped by police officers from Alabama and thrown in jail for three months. Schriftman is pictured above along with a photo of Clarence Norris Jr., whose father was the subject of the article author Tom Reidy wrote for Alabama Heritage. Although the pardons were passed by the Alabama legislature and signed by Governor Bentley, paperwork and public hearings must still take place before the official pardons are issued. To read the article from Alabama Heritage that helped get the ball rolling for the pardons, click here:

      "Awaiting Justice: The Improbable Pardon of 'Scottsboro Boy' Clarence Norris"

      Alabama_Heritage_West-Blocton
      Alabama Heritage spent a morning traveling to West Blocton and Centreville, researching and visiting historic sites. To see more photos of places we visited, log on to our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/AlabamaHeritage. Don't forget to visit the Cahaba Lily Festival coming up on Saturday, May 18, 2013. Each year the program begins in the morning (roughly 9:00 a.m.) with indoor presentations by various nature/wildflower groups. Botanist and Alabama Heritage author Larry Davenport, an expert on the lilies, presents an informative presentation about the lilies. Lunch is served just before attendees go to the river for viewing the lilies. For more information on the festival: Cahaba Lily Festival
      Start or Renew Your Subscription | Buy Current Issue | Buy Back Issues
      Home | Current Issue | Subscribe Online | Back Issue List | Shop Online | Order Information | Change Address
      Contact Us | About Us | Awards | Donate to AH | Meet Our Staff | Writer's Guidelines | Jobs/Internships

      subscribeBuy Current IssueBuy Back Issues

      Click to view this email in a browser

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      Alabama Heritage
      Box 870342
      Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0342
      US
      Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!