Two New Exhibitions at the Johnson Center for the Arts [Troy]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013

      VISIT OUR TWO NEW EXHIBITIONS:

      CELEBRATING AFRICAN AMERICAN ARTISTS: SELECTIONS FROM THE PAUL R. JONES COLLECTION
      ON LOAN FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA

      FROM DARKNESS INTO LIFE: ALABAMA HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY AND ART

      Greetings!
      We hope you and your family enjoyed a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! At the Johnson Center for the Arts we are beginning the new year with two incredible exhibitions. We invite you to visit our upper galleries to see Celebrating African American Artists: Selections from the Paul R. Jones Collection on loan from the University of Alabama and From Darkness into Life: Alabama Holocaust Survivors Through Photography and Art in our lower galleries. Join us at the Center to see and learn from these two exquisite exhibitions!

      Sincerely,

      Morgan Drinkard
      Director, TPCAC
      From Darkness Into Life: Alabama
      Holocaust Survivors Through
      Photography and Art
      Now - February 27
        The exhibit includes Survivor Artwork along with narratives both an introductory and 55 minute video which features the survivors and artists talking about their experiences and their artwork.

      This exhibit is presented by:Alabama Holocaust Commission, Alabama Humanities Foundation, College of Communication and Fine Arts, Troy University, Temple Emanu-El (Dothan), Kennesaw  State University Public History and German Studies Programs, Children's Holocaust Memorial, Whitwell Middle School (Tennessee)

      Community Reception: February 22, 5:00 p.m .- 7:00 p.m.
      Gallery Lecture: Sandra Roberts Learning from the Holocaust
      February 22, 5:30 p.m - 6:30 p.m.

      Celebrating African American Artists:
      Selections from the Paul R. Jones Collection on loan from UA
      Paul R. JonesThis exhibit has more than 40 paintings, photographs, prints and pieces of sculpture created by different African American Artists. The Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art is managed by the department of art and art history in The University of Alabama's College of Arts and Sciences. The gallery honors the late Paul R. Jones who, during his lifetime, amassed one of the largest collections of African-American art in the world. In 2008, Jones donated 1,700 pieces of his collection, valued at $4.8 million, to UA. Jones was known as a passionate collector who sought to collect from both well-known and lesser-known artists, a quality which makes his collection distinct.

      This exhibit is presented in part by the Alabama State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts in collaboration with the Troy University Leadership Conference Celebrating African American History Month.
      Reception: Feb. 1, 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

      Johnson Center for the Arts | | morgan@... | http://www.tpcac.org
      300 East Walnut Troy, AL 36081
      Museum Hours: Wednesday - Friday 10:00 - 5:00, Saturday 10:00 - 3:00
      Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center Mission Statement
      The Cultural Enrichment of all Citizens through Education in and Exposure to the Arts
      Johnson Center for the Arts | 300 East Walnut | Troy | AL | 36081