RE: Why is the south called "1Dixie"?

  • Buddy Sledge
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
      It's been a while since I've read in this area, but as I recall, the
      song was written by Emmett Kelly(?), a Northern
      composer/minstrel performer of mid-century. I'm sure the
      Encyclopedia of Southern Culture has a lengthy entry on this
      subject. I also recall hearing someone argue that Kelly actually
      "borrowed" the tune from a Black performer, whose name escapes
      me at the present. Perhaps someone out there who has their
      Encyclopedia handle can clarify this.

      Buddy Sledge