RE: Why is the south called "1Dixie"?

  • bunn002
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
      I've always heard of the French connection, but I didn't know the song was
      written in the North. Any info on where or when?
      Mike
      >===== Original Message From alabamahistory@onelist.com =====
      >From: w4th@... (Tom Hix W4TH)
      >
      >Is this correct? I had never heard this before. Any comments?.......Tom
      >Hix
      >-----------------------------------
      >We've been calling the South Dixie for so long--and hearing the song,
      >"Dixie" (written in the North, by the way) all our lives--that it seems
      >like the most natural thing in the world. But there's an interesting
      >historical explanation for it.
      >You could say that Dixie started out as a ten-dollar word. Before the
      >Civil War, the Citizens Bank in New Orleans issued notes in that
      >denomination. Because both French and English were spoken there, the
      >value of the note on the back of the bill was in French: "dix." The
      >widely circulated notes eventually had people calling the city the land
      >of Dixie. Only later did the name include all of Louisiana and then,
      >finally, the entire South. And the rest is history (honest, I'm not just
      >whistling Dixie).
      >(Source: I HEAR AMERICA TALKING by Stuart B. Flexner)
      >http://mailbits.com/Trivia/Source/80.htm
      >
      >Visit the Tom Hix Amateur Radio Homepage at:
      >http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/6222/

      >WIN a trip to Hawaii!
      >Enter ONElist's Hawaiian Sweepstakes. Go to:
      >Click Here

      >Archives for the list can be viewed at
      >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
    • Buddy Sledge
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
        It's been a while since I've read in this area, but as I recall, the
        song was written by Emmett Kelly(?), a Northern
        composer/minstrel performer of mid-century. I'm sure the
        Encyclopedia of Southern Culture has a lengthy entry on this
        subject. I also recall hearing someone argue that Kelly actually
        "borrowed" the tune from a Black performer, whose name escapes
        me at the present. Perhaps someone out there who has their
        Encyclopedia handle can clarify this.

        Buddy Sledge