Troy: Two New Exhibits at Johnson Center for the Arts

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12 4:21 AM

      Opening Reception
      Join us on June 16 from 2:00 until 4:00 in the evening
      for an Opening Reception
      in honor of our two newest exhibits:
      String Notes and Brush Strokes
      Henderson Bluegrass and Other Pickins
      by Margo Russell
      and
      Art of the State
      featuring work from three Troy University art professors.
      String Notes and Brush Strokes
      June 6 - July 27
      Margo Russell travels to Bluegrass Pickins and Singings around the South, and many of her pieces depict scenes from the Henderson Bluegrass Festival.

      "I like the sounds of Bluegrass Music, so much so, that for 25 years I have sought out  gatherings of these
      extraordinary artists 'pickin and singin'. I become part of the musical circle, the notes lead my pencil and brush strokes.We make art in situ." - Margo Russell

      Margo Russell was born in Andalusia , Alabama,t
      o a hispanic mother from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and a father from Ramer, Alabama.Currently she lives in the old family homeplace in Andalusia, makes art and teaches art workshops for children and adults. Her three children and four grandsons are a vital part of her daily life.The recurring motifs in her artwork are:abstract landscapes, fluid floral watercolours and drawings, paintings, clay of bluegrass muscians.

      Exhibit sponsored by
       KW Plastics Logo

      Art of the State
      June 6 - July 27
      Some of the most innovative Alabama art comes from faculty at the state's colleges and universities, and the Tennessee Valley Museum of Art is highlighting that work in a statewide exhibition that has traveled to the Johnson Center for the Arts in Troy.

      "This exhibition celebrates contemporary visual art and displays the experimental and creative work of studio artists who teach at Alabama's colleges and universities," said Stephanie Qualls, curator of education and exhibits at the Tennessee Valley Museum.

      "The Tennessee Valley Museum has done a wonderful job capturing the creative talents of the works of these artists." said Morgan Drinkard, Interim Director of the Johnson Center for the Arts. "We are honored to have these works on display, especially featuring Troy University professors Sara Dismukes, Russell Everett and Beverly West Leach."

      Sara Dismukes, assistant professor of art and design at Troy University, has "Two Cups" on display which is a painting in gouache and watercolor on paper. "I tend to use observation as a starting point but encode the work with metaphors of relationships and memories." Said Dismukes.

      Russell Everett, adjunct professor of drawing at Troy University, has "Equus Knot" on display. Everett says this piece is a metaphorical portrait about a woman whose personality has been completely overwhelmed by an addiction to her occupation with a "knot" caused by the permeating concern with her "equine" charges.

      Beverly West Leach, lecturer of art and design at Troy University has a hand-colored woodblock print titled "Formation Arch" on display. She says, "Nature's rhythm, flux, flow and space intrigue me."

      Join Our Mailing List!

      Exhibit Hours:
      Wednesday - Friday
      10:00 - 5:00
      Saturday
      10:00 - 3:00

      Admission is free of charge.

      Johnson Center for the Arts
      300 East Walnut Street
      Troy, Alabama 36081
      Johnson Center for the Arts | 300 East Walnut | Troy | AL | 36081