ADAH: Archives Director Ed Bridges Announces Retirement

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 12:31 PM

      ADAH logo

      Alabama Department of Archives and History

      Contact:
      Debra Wilkins
        334-242-4441
      NEWS RELEASE                              Release Date:
      archives.alabama.gov                                             21 May 2012

      Director Ed Bridges Sets Retirement From
      Alabama Department of Archives and History

      The Board of Trustees of the Alabama Department of Archives and History announced today that the Department's long-time director, Ed Bridges, will be retiring at the end of the current fiscal year.  He is completing his fifth six-year term as director and has asked not to be considered for a new term.

      The Board has developed plans to search for a new director, and trustees expect to have a successor in place by October 1.  Shirley McCrary of Mooresville, vice chairman of the Board of Trustees and chairman of the Personnel Committee, will lead the search.

      The chairman of the Board of Trustees, Mayor George Evans of Selma, expressed his appreciation on behalf of the Board for Bridges' services to the Archives and to Alabama history.

      "Under his leadership," Evans said, "the Archives has flourished and has done a tremendous job of documenting and preserving the state's history for the benefit of today's citizens and future generations."

      "On a personal level," Evans added, "Dr. Bridges has a rare capacity to work productively with everyone he meets, regardless of their background or interests. And he has a memory better than an elephant's."

      Chairman Evans also said that the project to build and install new Museum of Alabama exhibits will continue at full speed.  The final design plans will be ready to go out for bid before Bridges' retirement.  So far, the fund-raising campaign to pay for the exhibits has brought in just over $6 million in cash and pledges toward the $7 million goal.  Evans said that Bridges would continue working with the Archives and History Foundation to finish the campaign and assist with implementation of the new exhibits.

      In his retirement letter, Bridges assured the Board of his continued support for the museum effort and for the Department even after his retirement.  He said he wanted to help the Archives in every way he could.  He plans to remain active with the Archives and with other Alabama history projects, including some long-postponed research and writing of his own.

      "Every day of my thirty years here has confirmed for me the importance of the extraordinary collections and work of the Archives for the State of Alabama," Bridges said. "It continues to be one of the finest state history agencies in the United States."

      Bridges also expressed his appreciation for the honor of serving as the Archives' director for the past three decades.   He thanked the members of the Board of Trustees for their leadership, for all they have done to support and promote Alabama history, and for their many personal kindnesses to him during his tenure.

      Alabama Department of Archives and History
      624 Washington Ave.
      P. O. Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100