Ala. Historical Assoc. Annual Meeting Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2012

      From: Alabama Historical Association [steve.murray@...]
      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:10 PM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: AHA Annual Meeting Update

      The arrangements are made, the flowers are in bloom, and Huntsville awaits. Now all we need is you! Remember to postmark your registration form no later than April 5, but the sooner the better to assist us in getting accurate counts.

      Full details are available in the spring newsletter at the AHA web site, where you will now also find a PDF of the map for Friday afternoon's tours.

      If you prefer to navigate digitally, bookmark this handy Google map containing all venues and tours for the annual meeting.

      A few hotel rooms at the $89 rate may still be available. Call Gennifer Gordon at the Holiday Inn on Monday at (256) 424-0039 to inquire.

      If you need to look elsewhere for lodging, Embassy Suites (256-539-7373) is located across the street from the Holiday Inn, and a Hilton Garden Inn (256-430-1997) is near the Space and Rocket Center, site of Friday's banquet.

      Helion Lodge
      Helion Lodge

      We have rounded out Friday's tour schedule with some great additions. We will have a rare opportunity to tour Helion Lodge, the oldest Masonic Lodge in Alabama, and the Fearn-King Home, built by Huntsville's first physician and a participant in both the Creek War and the founding of the Confederacy.

      And the kind folks at the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library have also invited us to tour their unique research facility, which puts the local archives, the public records center, and the tax assessor's office all within steps of each other.

      As usual, our registration area will include some great deals on books from University of Alabama Press and NewSouth Books, joined this year by terrific local history offerings from the Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society.

      Exhibitors include two local digital projects: an online survey of historic structures in Huntsville, and a student-created web site on Huntsville during the Civil War which will go live during the annual meeting.

      Remember to send in those forms, and we'll see you soon!

      Alabama Historical Association
      P.O. Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130
      web: www.alabamahistory.net
      email: alabamahistory@...
      Alabama Historical Association | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130