Re: [alabamahistory] Alabama's Fort Mitchell could close

  • Claire Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28 11:15 AM
      Thanks for this news, A.J. We'll keep an eye on it for our entry. Not
      good!!!

      >>> "A.J. Wright" <wrightaj21@...> 03/28/12 1:07 PM >>>
      Alabama's Fort Mitchell could close
      By: The Associated Press | NBC 13
      Published: March 28, 2012
      ยป
      Comments<http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2012/mar/28/alabamas-fort-mitchell-could-close-ar-3497586/#fbcomments>
      | Post a
      Comment<http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2012/mar/28/alabamas-fort-mitchell-could-close-ar-3497586/#fbcomments>
      FORT MITCHELL, Ala. --

      Unless officials can pull together enough new revenue sources, the Fort
      Mitchell National Historic Landmark may be closed.

      Russell County Historical Commission president Bill Benton tells the
      Columbus Ledger-Enquirer the landmark only has enough money on hand to
      stay
      open another five months or so, depending on how deep cuts are. Half the
      staff - two part-time employees - have been laid off, and starting next
      week the site will only operate Thursday through Sunday instead of every
      day.

      The site requires about $20,000 a month to operate. It's survived off
      grants and donations, but tax filings show the historical commission's
      income has decreased sharply in recent years.

      The site includes a museum and a replica of an 1813 stockade.