U of AL announcement

  • David Herr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 1999
      fyi..aj wright

      The Department of History at the University of Alabama is
      pleased to announce the receipt of a University of Enhancement
      Grant from Provost Nancy S. Barrett. This grant will greatly
      expand the department's offerings in Southern history at both the
      graduate and undergraduate levels. The department will
      conduct searches this year for four tenure-track appointments:
      two in Southern History, one in European History, and one in
      Japanese History. Positions will soon be advertised on H-Net,
      in AHA Perspectives, and The Chronicle of Higher Education.
      The department has also increased financial aid available for
      graduate students seeking M.A. and Ph.D degrees, research
      support, and travel funding.

      This year Kari Frederickson (Ph.D., Rutgers University) begins
      her appointment as an Assistant Professor in 20th Century
      Southern History. Dr. Frederickson has taught at the University
      of Central Florida and served as Editor of the Florida Historical
      Quarterly. She joins Summersell Endowed Chair Professor
      George Rable and Professor Gary Mills in our expanding
      Southern History program.

      The department also welcomes W. Donald Smith (Ph.D.,
      University of Washington) as Visiting Assistant Professor of
      Japanese History. Dr. Smith has taught at the University of
      Washington and worked for newspapers in Japan, Korea, and
      the United States. His special interests are ethnic and labor
      history, and he joins our Japan Studies program.

      For more information, consult our webpage

      { HYPERLINK http://www.as.ua.edu/history/hydept.htm
      }www.as.ua.edu/history/hydept.htm, or contact

      Professor Howard Jones, Chair, Department of History

      University of Alabama, Box 870212, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-
      0212

      Tel. (205)-348-7100, Fax (205)-348-0670

      David Herr
      Editor H-SOUTH