Southern Cultures: Special Issue on Memory

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2011
      Southern Cultures has just released a special issue devoted entirely to
      Memory. We've also updated our online archives in many subject areas and
      are again offering free CDs and DVDs for use in classrooms during the
      coming academic year.

      The Memory issue features:
      Peter S. Carmichael on why Robert E. Lee provokes so much argument;
      Alice Walker, Randall Kenan, Allan Gurganus, Joe Flora, Elizabeth Spencer,
      Godfrey Cheshire, Kenneth Turan, and Andrew Garrison on their favorite
      Southern films; what to do about the Thomas Ruffin statue;
      memories of World War II Appalachia; new poetry from Robert Morgan;
      baseball legend Catfish Hunter and his hometown remembered;
      an interview with the Grandmother of Appalachian Studies;
      scenes from wartime Hot Springs, Arkansas;
      and more.
      50,000 students and scholars from over 70 countries have read
      Southern Cultures in the past year, and all of our content from the
      last decade is available online by subject area and by issue at:
      http://www.southerncultures.org/content/read/

      To read the current issue on Memory or to read about our
      free media
      for classroom use, please visit:
      www.SouthernCultures.org < http://www.SouthernCultures.org >
      Thank you.

      Best,
      Dave Shaw
      Executive Editor, Southern Cultures
      UNC's Center for the Study of the American South
      CB# 9127, UNC-CH
      Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-9127
      www.SouthernCultures.org

      David M. Shaw