ADAH: Primary Sources for Ala. History

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2011

      Primary Sources Banner 2011

      August,  2011

      Welcome Back to School!

      We hope that you have had a restful summer and are excited about the beginning of the school year!  We met so many wonderful and creative teachers during our workshops this summer and enjoyed learning with everyone.  We cannot wait to share the newest lesson plans created by teachers using the primary sources from the collections of the Alabama Department of Archives and History!

      This month, we have an Advanced Placement lesson on Alabama BEFORE the American Revolution, a civics lesson on New York Times v Sullivan, and lessons on New Deal programs in Alabama, lynching in the United States, and the Clotilde, the last slave ship.  Remember to preview all of the lessons to make sure that they are age and grade appropriate for your students.  Check out the names of the authors to see if they work in your school or school system!

      We would like to get your comments and suggestions about the lesson plans.  A Feedback button is located at the bottom of the lesson plan index for your convenience.

      GRAND OPENING of Two New Galleries on Saturday, Aug. 27!

      First Alabamian Faces 2

      Make plans to join us for the grand opening of two NEW GALLERIES, The Land of Alabama and The First Alabamians, on Saturday, August 27.  Meet the experts and the artists who have created these fabulous new exhibits.  Free hands-on activities for children will be provided all day and food will be available for purchase.  Take a look at the schedule and don't miss the excitement!

      What's New?

      Trekking Through History:  Traveling Backpacks

      Backpack photoIn the past, teachers have asked us about borrowing our discovery boxes to use in their classrooms.  To answer these requests, we have developed Trekking Through History Traveling Backpacks.  They are based on 6 of our most popular discovery boxes and are full of hands-on artifacts, activities for your class, DVDs, and a CD of the digital files of the activities that is yours to keep!  Through a generous grant from our support group, the Friends of the Alabama Archives, you will only pay $10.00 for the shipping of the backpack.  Because we have a limited number of these, please make your reservations early. Reservations will begin August, 2011.  Choose from the following Trekking Through History Traveling Backpacks:

      • Archaeology
      • Cotton
      • Civil War
      • Flight and Space
      • Southeastern Indians
      • Statehood and Symbols

      Looking for FREE  Alabama Video Resources?

      Check out the University of Alabama Honors College Web Site, Lights Camera Alabama!

      Students at the University of Alabama Honors College have researched and produced  videos that can be used in your classroom.  Most of the videos are 15 minutes long and present information on topics from the Battle of Horseshoe Bend to Zelda Fitzgerald.  You can check out their productions at Lights Camera Alabama.

      ***Please review each video to ensure age and grade appropriateness.

      About Us

       We tell the story of the people of Alabama by preserving records and artifacts of historical value and promoting a better understanding of Alabama history.

      Alabama Department of Archives and History

      624 Washington Avenue

      Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100

      Alabama Department of Archives and History | 624 Washington Avenue | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130-0100