Society for the Study of Southern Literature (Nashville, TN; March 29-April 1, 2012)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011
      From: U.S. Southern Literature [H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...] On Behalf Of Daniel Turner [danielcrossturner@...]
      Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 2:41 PM
      To: H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...
      Subject: CFP: Society for the Study of Southern Literature (Nashville, TN; March 29-April 1, 2012)

      *Call for Papers: "Anniversaries"*

      ***Society for the Study of Southern Literature*

      *Biannual Conference*

      *Nashville, TN*

      *March 29 – April 1, 2012*

      Keynote Address by Barbara Ladd (Emory University)

      Fiction Reading by Percival Everett (University of Southern California)

      Coming amid the organized commotion surrounding the sesquicentennial of the
      Civil War, the theme for the 2012 conference is “Anniversaries.”

      The SSSL Programming Committee seeks abstracts for individual papers,
      proposals for sessions, and themes for roundtables that encompass related
      works from the most private form of "anniversaries" (marriages, births,
      deaths, divorces etc.) to the most public (commemorations, celebrations,
      festivals, and so on in southern writing, film, etc.). The movement for a
      New Southern Studies celebrated ten years at an MLA session in January,
      2011, suggesting that critical and theoretical movements have reasons to
      think of anniversaries too. We might, then, have sessions of self-analysis –
      but a little shy of out and out narcissism on the one hand and hair-shirt
      penance on the other. Those whose focus is the global South might explore
      African, Caribbean, French, Spanish, and other non-U.S. legacies in southern
      forms of commemorations such as funerals and Mardi Gras.

      2012 is at or near the publication anniversaries of some pivotal southern
      texts: Walker Percy’s *The Moviegoer*, C. Vann Woodward’s *The Burden of
      Southern History*, Warren’s *The Legacy of the Civil War. *Patsy Cline was
      Queen in the early 1960s: “Crazy,” “She’s Got You,” and “I Fall to Pieces”
      were all released in 1961 and 1962. Harlan Howard, who wrote many of Patsy’s
      songs, is buried in Nashville City Cemetery not too far from one of Lee’s
      generals, Richard Ewell. The film adaptation of *To Kill a Mockingbird *was
      released in 1962, as was *Intruder *(not *in the Dust*) directed by Roger
      Corman and starring William Shatner.* *2012 is also 200th anniversary of
      the War of 1812. Possibilities range widely, crossing disciplines and media.

      The conference will be held at the Scarritt-Bennett Center (see
      www.scarrittbennett.org) on Thursday and Friday, and at Vanderbilt
      University on Saturday. Keynote and Plenary sessions will be held on the
      Vanderbilt campus. I chose Scarritt-Bennett because of cost and convenience;
      as a converted college, it offers very reasonably-priced, renovated dorm
      rooms. Visit their website and take the virtual tour. We’ve set aside a
      block of fifty of these rooms, but more are available if demand is high and
      if you make reservations early (i.e. before the end of February, 2012).
      Fifty rooms are also blocked at the Embassy Suites Hotel at $139 per night,
      with a deadline of March 5, 2012, for reservations. SSSL needs to book at
      least these fifty rooms or we’ll pay a penalty. So, if you can afford it
      plan to stay there. The Embassy Suites--Vanderbilt (1811 Broadway,
      Nashville, TN – don’t confuse this hotel with the one at the Nashville
      airport) is a full-service hotel within walking distance of Vanderbilt
      University and Scarritt-Bennett. The route leads through Vanderbilt’s
      “college town” of cafés and restaurants. A few blocks farther west, past the
      Vanderbilt Medical Center, is Hillsboro Village, a local student hangout
      with bars, coffee shops, banks, restaurants, a used bookstore, an indie
      cinema (www.belcourt.org) -- just about all you could hope for when you need
      relief from the conference. Nashville is, of course, Music City. We’ll have
      a guide to performance venues when you check in. The Country Music Hall of
      Fame and Museum is downtown, as is the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. *THE
      *Parthenon is a longer walk, across the campus and West End Avenue in
      Centennial Park, but worth the trek.

      Until we get a program committee organized, you can send abstracts (500
      words) to: michael.p.kreyling@....

      Michael Kreyling

      President, SSSL

      Vanderbilt University