Should alabamahistory continue?

    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2011

      Greetings to any subscribers who may still be reading messages from this group….

      For some time I have been considering whether to shut down this list…in June 2010 I stopped the “Alabama History & Culture in the News” listings—those listings sent out 2-3 times a week were a lot of work and I had no idea if anyone was reading them…since then I have continued to forward relevant items that come my way, but frankly I’m tired of doing that too, since there is never any response or discussion on this list…back in the early days of the list [say 1998-2000] various subscribers posted info, asked questions, discussed, etc…since then, the list has become a one-way channel from me to some wall out there….

      I will probably just stop forwarding items and allow the archives [all 3700+ messages] to sit until Yahoo decides to shut down the groups….

      There are currently 182 subscribers to the list…if someone else wants to take over as moderator, that will be fine with me…A.J. Wright

    • Breedlove, Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2011

        AJ, Thanks for all the hard work and effort. We appreciate it, perhaps too silently, but we appreciate it. Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2011
          Agreed. I always read through your listings and posts. It helps us know
          if we're missing things that need to be added to the Encyclopedia of
          Alabama. I can certainly understand if you're ready to move on, but do
          know that many of us appreciate your efforts!

          Claire

          >>> "Breedlove, Mike" <Mike.Breedlove@...> 05/23/11
          2:25 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2011
            I also read and love your posts, AJ, but as an expat have not felt I had much to contribute. I hope someone is able to pick up and carry the flag and that I get a chance to say thanks in person to a great guy I'm proud to claim as a cousin!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On May 23, 2011, at 2:29 PM, "Claire Wilson" <wilsoc3@...> wrote:

            > Agreed. I always read through your listings and posts. It helps us know
            > if we're missing things that need to be added to the Encyclopedia of
            > Alabama. I can certainly understand if you're ready to move on, but do
            > know that many of us appreciate your efforts!
            >
            > Claire

            > 2:25 PM >>>
            > AJ, Thanks for all the hard work and effort. We appreciate it, perhaps
            > too silently, but we appreciate it. Mike

          • Denver Sasser
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2011
              I read your posts and appreciate the interesting and informative articles I find there.
              I apologize for my poor manners in not already expressing my gratitude for your hard work.
              Denver Sasser
              Enterprise, Al

[...]

            • Michael Fitzgerald

                --
                Professor Michael W. Fitzgerald
                History Department
                Message 7 of 7 , May 24, 2011
                  Hi A.J.,
                       I'm sorry you have decided to give it up, but I certainly can't blame you. It had to be a labor of love to spend as much time as you did in keeping up with it. It was surely an asset for me to keep up with all that's going on in Alabama. Sorry I didn't make more of an effort to let you know how much I appreciated it.
                       Hope all is going well with you and family.
                                                                            Best wishes,
                                                                                 Jim