Archives Educator Newsletter: May 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2011

      Issue: # 9

      April 2011

      Highlights this month include:

      May Lesson Plans

      We are posting six NEW lesson plans for May submitted by teachers.  We have an Advanced Placement lesson created for the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Riders in Alabama written by Mary Hubbard, who is a retired A.P. teacher.  We also have two lessons that tell the story of the German prisoners of war that were imprisioned in Alabama during World War II.  Alabama and the Treaty of Versailles and the flu epidemic of 1918 are two new lessons that will reveal an Alabama connection to World War I.  We are also posting a lesson that has an extensive primary source document package on the Great Depression.  Check out the names of the authors to see if they work in your school or school system!

      **Remember, we are looking for your comments and suggestions about the lesson plans.  A Feedback button is located at the bottom of the lesson plan index for your convenience.

      REMEMBER to RESERVE EARLY

      Trekking Through History

      Traveling Backpacks

      Available August, 2011

      In the past, teachers have asked us about borrowing our discovery boxes to use in their classrooms.  To answer these requests, we have developed Trekking Through History Traveling Backpacks .  They are based on 6 of our most popular discovery boxes and are full of hands-on artifacts, activities for your class, DVDs, and a CD of the digital files of the activities that is yours to keep!  Through a generous grant from our support group, the Friends of the Alabama Archives, you will only pay $10.00 for the shipping of the backpack.  Because we have a limited number of these, please make your reservations early. Reservations will begin August, 2011.  Choose from the following Trekking Through History Traveling Backpacks:

      • Archaeology
      • Cotton
      • Civil War
      • Flight and Space
      • Southeastern Indians
      • Statehood and Symbols

      Online Resources

       (Provides teachers and students with an online map exhibit created from the collections of the ADAH.  Writing exercises, rubrics,  and classroom activities are included.)

       Becoming Alabama Activity Booklet and Events List for Children

      (Provides teachers and students with activities to use in the commemoration of three major events in United States and Alabama history.  A list of events is hyperlinked for additional information.

      Please note: Teachers should research all of the above resources to determine appropriateness for their students.

      Free Resources and Professional Development

      Many schools, teachers, and children in Alabama have been affected by the recent tornado disaster.  We know that resources are limited for all schools.  Check our web site for more free lesson plans and primary sources that will not require textbooks.  We also have teachers who are available for professional development sessions.  Please contact us for more information or assistance in scheduling a workshop for your school system.

      Find us on Facebook

      Other Educator News:

       Join us at the Archives on the second Saturday of each month for Museum in the Mornings from 9:00-11:00.  Craft activities for the summer will be:

      • May 14:  Papel Picados
      • June 11:  Hand Fans
      • July 9:  Personal Flags
      • August 13:  Hoop Drum

      These are FREE activities.

      ADAHLogo

      624 Washington Avenue

      P.O. Box 300100

      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

      Phone: (334) 242-4435

      Alabama Department of Archives and History | 624 Washington Avenue | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130-0100