Archives Educator Newsletter, March, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2011

      Issue: # 8

      March 2011

      Highlights this month include:

      • Alabama History Education Initiative Lesson Plans
      • Celebrate Women's History Month
      • FREE Copies of The Alabama Guide

      March Lesson Plans

      We are posting five NEW lesson plans for March.  This month, we have new lesson plans on steamboat transportation in Alabama, World War I, World War II, and the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

      **Remember, we are looking for your comments and suggestions about the lesson plans.  A Feedback button is located at the bottom of the lesson plan index for your convenience.

      FREE Classroom Set of The Alabama Guide

      AL Guide

      We still still have a few FREE classroom sets of the The Alabama Guide available to schools to be picked up at the Archives.  The first 241 pages offer students an easily read, illustrated history of Alabama and will be invaluable to schools that have limited resources and textbooks.  The second half of the book contains information about Alabama state government at the time of publication.  The reading level is more appropriate for high school students, but elementary students will enjoy exploring the history of  Alabama through historic photographs.

      Please complete this form to reserve your set.  Anyone from your central office can pick these up for you when  in Montgomery for meetings. The Alabama Department of Archives and History is open each day and on the second Saturday of each month from 8:30 to 4:30.

      Some school systems will be using these as textbooks for an Alabama History elective next year.

      (Please note:  Each classroom set is composed of 4 boxes of 8 books each.  Each box weighs approximately 34 lbs.)

      These are difficult times for many state agencies, including the Archives.  Many of our users and supporters have asked about our status in the appropriations process.  This "fact sheet" is an overview of where we stand after several years of cuts and also of the FY 2012 budget as it moves through the Legislature.

      Please make a special effort to contact your representative and senator, and tell them that you value the services provided by ADAH.

      Sincerely,

      Alabama Department of Archives and History

      Professional Development Opportunities

      Alabama Humanities Foundation:

      2011 Jenice Riley Memorial Scholarship

      Online Resources

       (Provides teachers and students with an online,  photographic exhibit taken from the collections of the ADAH.  Writing exercises, rubrics  and classroom activities are included.)

       Becoming Alabama Activity Booklet and Events List for Children

      (Provides teachers and students with activities to use in the commemoration of three major events in United States and Alabama history.  A list of events is hyperlinked for additional information.

      Smithsonian Education

      (Provides a lesson plan and primary source that features a yearbook from 1860 and messages from classmates who would fight on opposite sides of the Civil War.)

      (A FREE program that allows you and your students to create graphic word clouds.

      Wordle

      Please note: Teachers should research all of the above resources to determine appropriateness for their students.

      Find us on Facebook

      Other Educator News:

       Join us at the Archives on Saturday, April 9, 2010 for
      Museum in the Mornings from 9:00-11:00.  In April, we will be creating whirlygigs and paper games! This is a FREE activity.

      ADAHLogo

      624 Washington Avenue

      P.O. Box 300100

      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

      Phone: (334) 242-4435

      Alabama Department of Archives and History | 624 Washington Avenue | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130-0100