ADAH Educator Newsletter Jan. 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2011

      Issue: # 6

      January 2011

      Highlights this month include:

      • Alabama History Education Initiative Lesson Plans
      • Professional Development Opportunities and Online Resources
      • Museum in the Mornings Activities
      • History at Home Activities

      January Lesson Plans

      We are posting five NEW lesson plans for January.  This month, we have a series of lesson plans on Birmingham and the Civil Rights Movement created by our consultants for the Alabama History Education Initiative, Rebecca Gregory and Bonnie Shanks. Also, we have a lesson about Benjamin Sterling Turner, the first African American to represent Alabama in the U. S. House of Representatives during Reconstruction, written by Rebecca Campbell who teaches at Uniontown Elementary School in Perry County.

      **Remember, we are looking for your comments and suggestions about the lesson plans.  A Feedback button is located at the bottom of the lesson plan index for your convenience.

      ____________________________________
      Free Electronic Field Trip for 5th and 10th Grade Students

      Alabama Public Television is offering its first FREE, LIVE electronic field trip to Mount Vernon on February 17, 2010.

      Registration is REQUIRED for participation.

      http://www.aptv.org/mountvernon

      (Early Registrants will receive advance curriculum materials online and e-mail updates!)

       APT

      Professional Development Opportunities

      National Gallery of Art Teacher Institute(Applications Due on March 15, 2011)

      Gilder Lehrman

      Summer Seminars(Applications Due on Feb. 1, 2011)

      Online Resources

      (Provides teachers and students with positions on current controversial issues

      Digital History

      (Provides teachers and students with primary sources, an interactive timeline and multimedia on topics in U.S. History.)

      (Provides teachers and students with lesson plans, simulations, and games using economic concepts.)

      Find us on Facebook

       Other Educator News:

      History at Home activities for January highlight Alabama's part in space exploration.  Activities and activity sheets can be used at home or in the classroom.

      Join us at the Archives on Saturday, February 12, 2010 for Museum in the Mornings from 9:00-11:00.  In February, we will be making a Mardi Gras masks. This is a FREE activity.

      Did you know that the first Mardi Gras in America was celebrated in Mobile, Alabama?

      ADAHLogo

      624 Washington Avenue

      P.O. Box 300100

      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

      Phone: (334) 242-4435

      Alabama Department of Archives and History | 624 Washington Avenue | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130-0100