Oxford American: Alabama Music Issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010

      This year’s annual music issue of the magazine is devoted to Alabama….A.J. Wright // ajwright@...

      If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

      Share This:

      OXFORD AMERICAN

      Magazine     OA Online     Subscriber Services     About OA     News & Events     Online Store

      NEW BONUS CONTENT AT OXFORDAMERICAN.ORG!

      This December, cozy up to the warm glow of your computer screen with oxfordamerican.org. We've just published an extravaganza of new content, featuring loads of music and music writing not available in this year's 12TH ANNUAL SOUTHERN MUSIC ISSUE and CD (which just hit stores and newsstands). On our website, you'll find:

      • The OA's "Alternate Universe" Music Mix—an online compilation of more great Alabama music than we could cram into the hard-copy CD included with the magazine. The mix showcases even more tracks from Alabama's groovy and rich musical heritage including proto-prog rockers Felt and hillbilly tunesmith Ernest Ashworth—and twenty others.
      • Read about, and hear, Alabama's best current bands, who battle it out for the Number One spot on our list of "Alabama's Top 15 Contemporary Acts." Featuring streams, video, and trenchant criticism.
      • An exclusive interview with disco & soul diva Candi Staton, accompanied by a never-before-released recording of her 2006 song "His Hands" (written for "The First Lady of Southern Soul" by none other than Bonnie "Prince" Billy).
      • Our YouTube expert/spy, The Part-Time Voyeur, chooses his favorite Alabama musical performances of all time. No lip-syncing! All footage consists of original, rare performances by such Alabama superstars as Percy Sledge, Hank Williams, The Louvin Brothers, Dinah Washington, and others too cool to miss.
      • Our normally succinct book review dept. leads off with Editor Smirnoff's lengthy love/hate take on this year’s BEST MUSIC WRITING anthology (a review bound to displease some). Plus short but revealing entries on Alabama literary genius Albert Murray, post-punk songstress Kristin Hersh's memoir RAT GIRL, Jimi Hendrix, Sam Phillips, and others.

      If you enjoy basking in the toasty glow of these absorbing online performances, please delve into our 12TH ANNUAL SOUTHERN MUSIC ISSUE, which features both dynamic music (in the form of the accompanying CD of Alabama All-Stars) and dynamic text from Greil Marcus (with a rare fiction, channeling the real-life blues legend Skip James), John Jeremiah Sullivan (who’s twice been collected in Da Capo’s BEST MUSIC WRITING anthology), Rachael Maddux (from the recently expired PASTE magazine), Dan Baum (ex-NEW YORKER staff writer), and Jamey Hatley (a young African-American writer who overcame her distaste for blues music).

      EXPERIENCE "ABALABIP!"

      You might even be so turned on by all this that you'll want to join us for our year-long "Abalabip!" concert series, which will feature the best of the old and new in Alabama music.

      Our kickoff show takes place on Saturday, February 5, 2011, at the historic Alabama Theatre in Birmingham will spotlight Ralph "Soul" Jackson, a newly reunited Sex Clark Five, soul sister Mary Gresham, avant-garde jazz saxist Arthur Doyle, and T-Bone Burnett's favorite new act, The Secret Sisters.

      Tickets are a ridiculously low $20 each!  Click here to order, or call 501-320-5730.

      Presented by The Oxford American, Alabama Department of Tourism, Florence Lauderdale Tourism, Lucy Buffett's LuLu's at Homeport Marina, MINI, and Arkansas Delta Byways.

      COOL GIFTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS

      The holiday season is here!  Visit oxfordamerican.org for smart and fun gift ideas:

      The 12th annual Southern Music Issue with CD—always a favorite.

      For t-shirts, books, and limited-edition back issues, visit our online store

      Gift subscriptions ensure you will be remembered and appreciated all year long!

      PLEASE SUPPORT THE OXFORD AMERICAN

      The Oxford American is a not-for-profit organization, which means that every dollar we receive goes directly toward producing exceptional content. Plus, your contribution is fully tax-deductible

      The Oxford American depends on your support to exist. We are not owned by a conglomerate or a big corporation, and we don’t have a bloated administrative bureaucracy.  So you can be assured that we are lean and efficient, and we utilize the donations we receive to pay our writers, editors, artists, and photographers.

      When you support The Oxford American, you are supporting the creation and preservation of great American art and culture.

      If you believe that magazines like The Oxford American should continue to exist, and that magazines like The Oxford American make an important contribution to our lives and our culture, please make a contribution today

      With your help, The Oxford American will continue to be the leading source for smart, unique and genuine perspectives in the American South.

      Follow The Oxford American on Facebook and Twitter.

      201 Donaghey Avenue, Main 107 | Conway, Ark. 72035
      Tel. 501-450-5376 | Fax 501-450-3490 | www.oxfordamerican.org