ADAH Archives Educator Newsletter: Dec. 2010
Issue: # 4
Highlights this month include:
- Alabama History Education Initiative Lesson Plans
- Celebrate Alabama Day
- History at Home Seasonal Activities
December Lesson Plans
We are posting five NEW lesson plans for December. This time we are adding a lesson created for second-grade students which utilizes photographs of modes of transportation and a timeline. It is never too early to use primary sources in the classroom! The New South, Birmingham, and Alabama's contributions to the Civil War are all a part of the newest lesson plans. Check out the names of the authors to see if they work in your school or school system!
**Remember, we are looking for your comments and suggestions about the lesson plans. A Feedback button is located at the bottom of the lesson plan index for your convenience.
- Changes in Transportation over Time (created by Jodi Maze and Suzanne Graves, Crossville Elementary School, DeKalb County Schools)
- Alabama's Economic Contribution to the Confederacy (created by Susan Daffron, Kate Shepard Elementary School, Mobile County Schools)
- Birmingham: The Magic City (created by Kris White, Bear Exploration Center Elementary School, Montgomery County Schools)
- Working in Birmingham's Iron Industry (created by Kris White, Bear Exploration Center Elementary School, Montgomery County Schools)
- Alabama's New South Era (created by Vickie Looser, Lanett High School, Lanett City Schools)
(Digital Alabama Resources)
(National Archives Online Tool for Teachers)
(A Search Engine for Students. It searches only credible Web sites approved by Internet research experts.)
Celebrate Alabama's Birthday at the Archives with
activities on Saturday, Dec. 11!
History at Home activities highlight the December seasonal celebrations. Activities and activity sheets can be used at home or in the classroom.
Bored after the holidays? Come to the Archives to see the museum and for FREE activities in the Hands-On Gallery. (December 20-31: Museum open M-TH, 8:30-4:30- Research Room open T-TH, 8:30-4:30)
The Alabama Department of Archives and History will be closed on Friday, December 24, 2010 and Friday, December 31, 2010.
624 Washington Avenue
P.O. Box 300100
Montgomery, AL 36130-0100
Phone: (334) 242-4435
Web site: http://www.archives.alabama.gov
Alabama Department of Archives and History | 624 Washington Avenue | P.O. Box 300100 | Montgomery | AL | 36130-0100