[Becoming Alabama] Upcoming events

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2010

      From: Murray, Steve <Steve.Murray@...>
      To: Becoming Alabama (becoming-alabama@...) <becoming-alabama@...>
      Sent: Sat, Nov 13, 2010 12:39 pm
      Subject: [Becoming Alabama] Upcoming events

      Colleagues,

      At planning meetings and in previous posts, we’ve discussed plans for an inaugural Becoming Alabama symposium to be held in Montgomery in December. After having some difficulty rounding out our speaker panel and then running short of time to give the event the promotion that it deserved, we have reluctantly decided to postpone that event until a date to be announced later. There is no lack of terrific commemoration activities on the calendar, however!

      We’re coming up soon on the 55th anniversary of the Montgomery bus boycott. Today’s Montgomery Advertiser contains a preview:

      And on January 21-22, the Draughon Center for the Arts and Humanities is hosting a terrific two-day symposium on the role of the press during the three Becoming Alabama periods and today. The program and registration information are available at:

      Plans are also underway in Montgomery for programs to commemorate the establishment of the Confederacy in February 1861 and the Freedom Rides of May 1961. Look for announcements on those soon.

      What events are taking shape in your corner of the state? Share your information via this e-mail list, or post it on the Becoming Alabama Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/BecomingAlabama.

      Best regards,

      Steve Murray

      Assistant Director for Administration

      Alabama Department of Archives & History

      PO Box 300100

      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

      (334) 353-4692

      (334) 353-4359