FW: Archives Educator Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010

      Issue: # 1

      August/2010

      Welcome back to school from the

       Alabama Department of Archvies and History!

      Our goal is to help you bring history alive in your classroom and periodically thoughout the school year we will bring you information, tips, and resources for your classroom through this e-newsletter.

      Highlights this month include:

      • Alabama History Education Initiative Lesson Plans
      • Grandparents Day activities
      • Archives Tour Changes

      We are proud to annouce the availability of new teacher created lesson plans!  Each lesson plan uses a primary source document from the Archives collections and is based on Alabama Course of Study content standards.  Alabama classroom teachers created these lessons as part of the Alabama History Education Initiative (AHEI), which is funded in part by the Malone Family Foundation . Explore these lessons created by your peers and check back next month for new lessons:

      Yellow Journalism (created by Ron Shephard, Central High School, Phenix City Schools)

      First in Time: Paleo-Indians in Alabama (created by Kim Whitfield, Eufaula Elementary, Eufaula City Schools)

      A Study of the Physical Regions of Alabama (created by Ivy Murray, Holly Hill Elementary, Enterprise City Schools and DeShaundra Johnson, Hall-Kent Elementary, Homewood City Schools)

      Alabama's 1901 Constitution  (created by Antonio Harrison, Wetumpka High School, Elmore County Schools)

      La Mobile: A Case Study of Exploration and Settlement (created by  Ray Morton, Booker T. Washington Magnet School, Montgomery County Schools)

       Other Educator News:

      September is Grandparents Month! Help your students explore their family history with Family Traditions Booklet and Family Tree Hanging Decoration.

      ADAH Tours are changing! A new tour, A Touch of History, will start December 1, 2010. Go to the school tours section of our Web site to learn more and to book your tour.

      Online Resources

      America's Story from America's Library (Library of Congress)

      Virtual Flashcards (Quizlet)

      Encyclopedia of Alabama

      2010 AHEI teachers developing lesson plans

      ADAHLogo

      624 Washington Avenue

      P.O. Box 300100

      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100