Local Writers in Montgomery: Sat. & Next Week

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 10:14 AM

      From: Capitol Book [capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 9:47 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Local Writers Here Tomorrow....and Next Week

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Friday, July 16, 2010

      Today's Contents:
      1. Two Local Authors Here Tomorrow
      2. Two More Local Authors Here Next Week (Video)
      3. The Bees Come to the Bookstore (Video)

      TWO LOCAL WRITERS HERE TOMORROW

      Two local writers, whom many of you may know, will be here TOMORROW, SATURDAY, JULY 17 FROM 1 PM - 2 PM!

      Nancy Bone Goff was born and primarily raised in rural Alabama.  She is the youngest child of the Bone family whose story she shares in her new book One-Arm Boy in a Two-Arm World It is the story of her brother, DM Bone, how he lost his arm and was able to function as a sharecropper’s son during the Great Depression. It also explores the lives of her family and how they were affected by not only the Depression, but also the loss of DM’s arm, and her sister, Imogene developing Polio at the age of fifteen. It was a time in the history of America when people worked hard simply to survive.  Both Nancy and DM spent many years living and working in Montgomery.   One-Arm Boy in a Two-Arm World is often sad but it also teaches us that with love and a strong will anything is possible.  Paper, $20.99.

      K. T. Archer is a writer living in Montgomery, Alabama. Life events, good and bad, are her inspiration.   Her new novel is The Silver Spoon, in which 25-year-old Lizzy learns that her mother, who has always been her rock, is about to die from cancer. As her mother takes her last breath, Lizzy, who has never truly been on her own, steps into the unknown and begins a new life.  In the aftermath, her inner strength is tested, as the secrets her family has managed to hide for years suddenly begin to bubble up revealing the imperfections of those she loves and admires.  When her father shows up on her doorstep and reveals the promise he made to her dying mother, Lizzy must decide whether to forgive him for his past mistakes as she attempts to resolve the conflict that surrounds her family and finally grow up. Paper, $17.95.

      If you need books but can't make the signing, just let us know, and we'll be happy to get books signed for you.

      CAROLE KING AND KARREN PELL DEBUT THEIR NEW MONTGOMERY BOOK HERE NEXT WEEK!

      Carole and Karren have collaborated on a new pictorial book about Montgomery: Montgomery's Historic Neighborhoods. It's all about...well, you can tell from the title what it's all about, but for a good deal more information about the book, why don't you just let Carole and Karren tell you all about it themselves? Just CLICK HERE to see their VIDEO EXPLANATION!

      They'll be here NEXT THURSDAY, JULY 22 FROM 4 - 6 PM!  The book is $21.99 paperback.

      WATCH AS BEES TRY TO MOVE IN WITH US
      About a month ago we arrived at work to find a small, and then a very large, swarm of bees taking up residence in the walls of the bookstore. We like bees, but some customers are wary of wading through a bunch of bees to get to the bookstore, so we spent a whole day trying to get the bees to think about moving somewhere else. With the help of Lisa and Robb Fifield of Hickory Grove Nursery (and Bee Removal), we succeeded....and we caught the whole thing on videotape. CLICK HERE TO SEE THE BEES.
      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334.265.1473
      website: www.capitolbook.com