Executive Director's position, Alabama Folklife Association
- Joyce Cauthen of the Alabama Folklife Association (AFA) asked me to post this job announcement. Please note that the salary, hours and benefits are negotiable. The AFA is a nonprofit organization. Joyce will field questions from those who are interested.
The Alabama Folklife Association is seeking to fill the position of Executive Director on or about October 1, 2010.
The Alabama Folklife Association is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, non-profit, organization whose statewide mission is to promote knowledge, appreciation, and preservation of Alabama folklife through activities such as festivals, conferences, fieldwork, videos, recordings, and publications such as Tributaries. The organization is governed by a board of directors that is passionate about the state's folklore and traditional culture. The organization works closely with the Alabama State Council on the Arts and the Alabama Center for Traditional Culture in Montgomery. For more information about us go to http://www.alabamaafolklife.org
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the organization's planning and operations. The Executive Director reports to the board of directors.
The applicant should possess a strong background in folklore, traditional culture, fund-raising, and/or non-profit administration. The applicant should be self-directed, self-motivated, and have strong leadership skills.
The Executive Director's duties include, in part, the following:
* identification, planning, and implementation of programs that further the organization's mission;
* administration of the organization's financial, accounting, and reporting needs;
* board relationships and board development;
* preparation and filing of grant requests and reports;
* fund-raising through the organization's membership and other sources;
* preparation of press releases and other aspects of public relations;
* maintenance of the organization's website; and,
* participation in appropriate professional development activities.
Terms of employment are negotiable. Applicants should send a resume and cover letter (by regular mail or e-mail) to:
2169 Shadybrook Lane
Birmingham, Alabama, 35226
Alabama Center for Traditional Culture
Alabama State Council on the Arts
201 Monroe Street, Suite 110
Montgomery, AL 36104