Traditional Musics of Alabama Volume 5 [Gospel shapenote singing]

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25 9:43 AM

      Date: 5/19/2010

      Contact Info:  Steve Grauberger

      Phone:  334/242-4076 x222

       New Folklife CD

      Volume 5 Cover ArtThe Alabama Center for Traditional Culture (ACTC) and the Alabama Folklife Association (AFA) is proud to announce our new CD with extended liner notes, New Book Gospel Shapenote Singing.  This is Alabama Traditions 205, or Volume 5 in our Traditional Musics of Alabama Series.  The CD, based on research by ACTC ethnomusicologist Steve Grauberger, focuses on Seven Shapenote New Book Gospel singing primarily recorded during gospel singing conventions over the past several years in Alabama.  This project features songs of twenty-three Alabama Gospel songwriters who have made contributions to this important traditional music genre. The CD can be ordered online at the Alabama Folklife Association site using this link.

      The beautiful cover is by Bethanne Hill and the liner notes were designed by Scott Fuller.