Ala. History/Culture in the News: 13-15 March & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2010
      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      ***Feel free to forward this email as desired.***

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites and blogs are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in or sometimes unrelated to the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL**USEFUL LINKS

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **See dollmaker's creations at Port City Craftsmen Show [March 19-20; Nelda Stanley]
      http://tinyurl.com/yb5vg5e
      Mobile Press-Register 14 March 2010

      **Museum showcases trophy
      Waterford crystal football, signifying Tide's 2009 title, will be on display starting today
      http://tinyurl.com/yaslcsf
      Tuscaloosa News 13 March 2010

      **Bruce Sutter joins Hall of Fame lineup coming to Mobile for opening of [Hank] Aaron home and museum [April 14]
      http://tinyurl.com/yfonjmb
      Mobile Press-Register 14 March 2010

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **CCC structure may get spot on national historic register [in Triana]
      http://tinyurl.com/yajh5o7
      Montgomery Advertiser [via Huntsville News] 15 March 2010

      **Looking Back [50, 25, etc., years ago in Tuscaloosa]
      http://tinyurl.com/yeu2xfl
      Tuscaloosa News 15 March 2010

      **Tallulah surprised playwright
      [Matthew Lombardo's play about Tallulah Bankhead is "Looped"]
      http://tinyurl.com/yd8p83p
      Huntsville Times 14 March 2010

      **HBO 'Pacific' gala lights up downtown Mobile with Saenger Theatre screening (with photo gallery)
      http://tinyurl.com/ybyx9ys
      Mobile Press-Register 14 March 2010

      **Former resident remembers life in Gadsden [Bobby Thomas]
      http://tinyurl.com/yepdmfp
      Gadsden Times 14 March 2010

      **Purple Heart comes late for World War II veteran [Bob Stone]
      http://tinyurl.com/yh438g2
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 March 2010

      **[Wetumpka meteor] Crater commission seeks funding for visitor center
      http://tinyurl.com/yht5ru6
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 March 2010

      **Activists complete final leg of Selma-to-Montgomery march re-enactment
      http://tinyurl.com/yep5btu
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 March 2010

      **Moundville marks 10th year of flintknapping festival
      http://tinyurl.com/yjstydo
      Tuscaloosa News 13 March 2010

      **Selma marchers to reach Capitol today
      http://tinyurl.com/ylzplfe
      Montgomery Advertiser 13 March 2010

      **Mayor says mound will be demolished, hill developed [in Oxford]
      http://tinyurl.com/yauunc9
      Anniston Star 13 March 2010

      **1999 March 13- [Ala. native] Evander Holyfield, the WBA and IBF champion, and Lennox Lewis,
      the WBC champion, keep their respective titles after fighting
      to a controversial draw in New York.

      1914 March 13- James Reese Europe explains the significance of his Clef Club
      Symphony Orchestra, consisting of the best African American
      musicians in New York City: "... we colored people have our
      own music that is a part of us. It's the product of our
      souls; it's been created by the sufferings and miseries of our
      race." [Europe was a Mobile native; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Reese_Europe ]

      1918 March 13- John Rhoden is born in Birmingham, Alabama. An art student who
      will study with Richmond Barthe' and at Talledega College,
      Rhoden's sculptures will have strong romantic and classical
      elements. He will receive commissions for Harlem Hospital and
      Metropolitan Hospital in New York City, exhibit his work at
      the Atlanta University annuals, the Art Institute of Chicago,
      and the Whitney Museum and be represented in museums in the
      United States and Europe. Among his major works will be
      "Safari," "Eve," and "Quarter Horse."
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Historic downtown Tuscaloosa photo
      http://tinyurl.com/ylo6qt8
      Tuscaloosa News 12 March 2010

      **When Scholarship and Tribal Heritage Face Off Against Commerce [Oxford mound]
      http://tinyurl.com/yzm4vsb
      New York Times 12 March 2010

      **THEATER REVIEW | 'THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS'
      So Hard to Put Into Words (and Music)
      http://tinyurl.com/yge88zz
      New York Times 11 March 2010

      **A place in Gadsden's women's history
      http://tinyurl.com/yecsnkh
      Gadsden Times 14 March 2010

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Fabric designer finds inspiration everywhere [Cindy Barganier]
      http://tinyurl.com/y8ks23l
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 March 2010

      **Gee's Bend quilters share their stories
      http://tinyurl.com/y8qtdhl
      Gadsden Times 14 March 2010

      **Local seamstress creates clothing with nostalgic flair [Dorothy Crittenden]
      http://tinyurl.com/yaltlna
      Dothan Eagle 14 March 2010

      **Huntsville's My Spirited Art mixes painting and creativity with wine
      http://tinyurl.com/yfhd6bk
      Huntsville Times 14 March 2010

      **Get to Know Kevin Williamson: College art training leads to blacksmith business
      http://tinyurl.com/yd5as2o
      Mobile Press-Register 14 March 2010

      **Artist Jean McKee earns Best of Show at Eastern Shore Art Center
      http://tinyurl.com/ygcpd88
      Mobile Press-Register 14 March 2010

      **'Jammers' welcome music lovers, musicians to Old Alabama Town
      http://tinyurl.com/yzxghwv
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 March 2010

      **Quilting regains popularity as art form locally, across state
      http://tinyurl.com/yz8xtp2
      Gadsden Times 13 March 2010

      **Samford student spreads Bible messages by leaving art for the taking [Michael Aaron Williams]
      http://tinyurl.com/yg5wl8x
      Birmingham News 13 March 2010

      **UA grad's designs debut in Miami [Smith Sinrod]
      http://tinyurl.com/yll2auu
      Tuscaloosa News 13 March 2010

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Business leader [Edward] Mauldin dies
      http://tinyurl.com/yck588t
      Florence Times Daily 15 March 2010

      **Through his lens, America witnessed civil rights era [Charles Moore]
      http://tinyurl.com/ydln898
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 March 2010

      **Photographer [Charles] Moore dies at 79
      http://tinyurl.com/yh8u4up
      Florence Times Daily 13 March 2010

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Balthrop, Alabama [rock band]
      http://www.balthropalabama.com/

      **A Tuskegee Airman: Joseph Philip Gomer
      http://www.josephgomer.com/index.html

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/aha.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/markers.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events