Ala. History/Culture in the News: 18-19 Feb & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2010
      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      ***Feel free to forward this email as desired.***

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites and blogs are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in or sometimes unrelated to the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL**USEFUL LINKS

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **UA pioneer to speak at black history program [Feb. 19]
      [First black professor, Archie Wade]
      http://tinyurl.com/yaal4ng
      Tuscaloosa News 19 February 2010

      **Alabama Clay Conference [Feb. 19-21; 25th annual; Troy University]
      http://www.alclayconference.org/

      **Alabama Stories: Freedom Riders
      Monday, February 22, 2010 at 8:00PM on Alabama Public Television
      When the U.S. Supreme Court ruled segregation in interstate travel unconstitutional, black and white students came together to test that ruling in a movement known as the Freedom Rides. Rhonda Colvin examines the days the movement came to Alabama and interviews witnesses and some of the riders themselves who quickly learned when change is sought, it is not always welcomed.
      http://tinyurl.com/yc2k2ks

      **Feb 23, 5 pm
      Irene Latham book event
      Lemuria Books, Jackson, Miss
      http://www.irenelatham.com

      **Brown Bag Lunch Program: The Spiritual: The Origin and Impact in the African American Community [Feb. 24]
      Join us for a riveting experience with voice and piano featuring the story of how the spiritual came from Africa and served as a centerpiece of the slave community. Dr. Rosephanye Dunn Powell, Professor of Voice at Auburn University, creates an experience that you will remember forever! Wednesday, February 24, noon. Feed your body and mind at Birmingham Public Library's Brown Bag Lunch Programs. You bring the lunch and we'll bring the drinks. Wednesdays at noon in the Arrington Auditorium located on the 3rd floor of the Linn-Henley Research Library, 2100 Park Place.
      http://www.bplonline.org/

      **Feb 27, 9:30 am
      Tell Me a Story Festival: Kathryn Tucker Windham
      Trinity United Methodist Church, Huntsville
      http://www.trinityhsv.org/Home.aspx

      **Mar 3, noon
      Lunch and Learn: Virginia Van der Veer Hamilton
      Bradshaw Public Library
      Virginia Hamilton will discuss her memoir _Teddy's Child: Growing Up in the Anxious Southern Gentry between the Great Wars_. See Web site for more information.
      3419 20th Avenue
      Valley, AL 36854
      Contact: John Tidwell
      334-768-2161
      johntidwell@...
      http://www.chamberscountylibrary.org

      **Mar 4, 6 pm
      Red Mountain Reading Series: Jeanie Thompson
      Jefferson State Community College-Shelby, Birmingham
      http://www.jeffstateonline.com

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Gourmet sandwich shop to be set in historic downtown Birmingham building
      http://tinyurl.com/ybg5rru
      Birmingham News 19 February 2010

      **Joe Reed recalls 1960 protest by ASU students
      http://tinyurl.com/ycey5nt
      Montgomery Advertiser 18 February 2010

      **Former UA star Dave Magadan inducted into College Baseball Hall of Fame
      http://tinyurl.com/yfhflxw
      Montgomery Advertiser 18 February 2010

      **Jimmie Lee Jackson: The Death That Gave Life to Voting Rights [1965 in Perry County]
      http://tinyurl.com/y8d89dh
      Huffington Post 18 February 2010

      **Alger-Sullivan Society Presents History Book To Northview Library [includes Flomaton]
      http://www.northescambia.com/?p=14754
      NorthEscambia.com 18 February 2010

      **1861 Feb. 18: C.S.A. President Jefferson Davis is inaugurated at Montgomery, AL.
      FROM: Poor Gabriel's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **DeKalb [Old Valley Head] cemetery added to state register
      http://tinyurl.com/ycstzb2
      Fort Payne Times-Journal 17 February 2010

      **Dothan's Sony plant set to close [after 33 years]
      http://tinyurl.com/yemmw28
      Dothan Eagle 17 February 2010

      **Tuskegee Airmen to speak at Old Colony Thursday
      http://tinyurl.com/yaauymr
      Taunton [MA] Gazette 17 February 2010

      **American Village becomes national treasure
      http://tinyurl.com/ydek9rh
      Shelby County Reporter 16 February 2010

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Two Tuscaloosa theater groups get set for their debuts this week
      http://tinyurl.com/y9dwp5x
      Tuscaloosa News 19 February 2010

      **Filmmaker works to spotlight Muscle Shoals [music]
      http://tinyurl.com/y89qfxq
      Tuscaloosa News 19 February 2010

      **Fox News to film open mic night Friday [local musicians at Florence deli]
      http://tinyurl.com/yalgcaf
      Florence Times Daily 18 February 2010

      **Stitt, Hastings, Jim 'N Nick's in running for James Beard Foundation Awards
      http://tinyurl.com/yb5safv
      Birmingham News 18 February 2010

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no entries this issue]

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Birmingham's Ill-Fated Mardi Gras [late nineteenth century]
      Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
      http://tinyurl.com/yclab4q

      **Nat King Cole compares himself to the Jackie Robinson
      of American television and rightly so.
      http://www.jazzonthetube.com/videos/black-history-month/the-nat-king-cole-show.html
      "For 13 months I was the Jackie Robinson of television.
      I was the pioneer, the test case, the Negro first....On my show rode
      the hopes and tears and dreams of millions of people....Once a week for
      64 consecutive weeks I went to bat for these people. I sacrificed
      and drove myself. I plowed part of my salary back into the show.
      I turned down $500,000 in dates in order to be on the scene.
      I did everything I could to make the show a success.
      And what happened? After a trailblazing year that shattered all
      the old bugaboos about Negroes on TV, I found myself standing there
      with the bat on my shoulder. The men who dictate what Americans see and
      hear didn't want to play ball." - Nat King Cole
      [His variety show premiered on NBC in 1956.]
      Jazz on the Tube [video] 17 February 2010

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/aha.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/aha/markers.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events