Ala. History/Culture in the News: 15-16 Dec & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2009
      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      ***Feel free to forward this email as desired.***

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites and blogs are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in or sometimes unrelated to the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL**USEFUL LINKS

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Jan 8, 2010, 8 pm
      Jeanie Thompson reading
      The Rudyard Kipling, Louisville, Ky.
      http://www.inkyreadingseries.com/

      **Jan 10, 2 pm
      Irene Latham, _Leaving Gee's Bend_ launch party
      North Shelby Library, Birmingham
      http://www.irenelatham.com

      **Jan 11, 10 am
      Kathryn Tucker Windham book event
      O.D. Smith Hall, Auburn University
      http://www.olliatauburn.org/

      **Jan 13, noon-1 pm
      Barbara Eubanks: Writers of Calhoun County monthly meeting
      Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County
      http://www.hearttreebooks.com

      **Jan 15, 8 pm
      Montevallo Poetry Slam
      Eclipse Coffee and Books
      http://www.newdawnunlimited.com

      **Jan 16, 2 pm
      Irene Latham reading
      Hoover Public Library
      http://www.southernvoices.info

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Old house with a history is home again [in Athens]
      http://tinyurl.com/yexocxv
      Huntsville Times 16 December 2009

      **Money talks at Madison job in 1930s
      http://tinyurl.com/yez7afh
      Huntsville Times 16 December 2009

      **Museum to honor Scottsboro's civil rights history
      http://tinyurl.com/y8q8qa3
      Huntsville Times 16 December 2009

      **Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
      Horry, Tamburello head Class of 2010
      Versatile female Clanton in group
      Birmingham News 16 December 2009, pp 1C, 5C

      **This Week in Alabama History
      http://tinyurl.com/ycxrlmv
      Gadsden Times 15 December 2009

      **Casting Announced for ‘The Scottsboro Boys’ [the musical]
      http://tinyurl.com/yeo3btx
      New York Times/ArtsBeat blog 15 December 2009

      **Flower shops wilt [including Gordon's, closing after 35 years]
      http://tinyurl.com/yan8jlw
      Huntsville Times 15 December 2009

      **Alabama's Grand Hotel packs first book with memories and recipes
      http://tinyurl.com/ycfby82
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 December 2009

      **b. 08-29-1924 - Dinah Washington - Tuscaloosa, AL - d. 12-14-1963 blues singer: "Jubilee"; "Bob Hope Show"; "One Night Stand"
      old.time.radio Digest V2009 Issue #241
      http://lists.oldradio.net/

      **1963 Dec 14- Singer [& Tuscaloosa native] Dinah Washington joins the ancestors after a sleeping
      pill overdose at the age of 39 in Detroit, Michigan. She
      popularized many, many great songs, including "What a
      Diff'rence a Day Makes", "Unforgettable" and several hits
      with Brook Benton, including "Baby (You've Got What it
      Takes)" and "A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall
      in Love)".
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Renovation on track: Work moving along on historic rail depot in Jacksonville
      http://tinyurl.com/yafy5g2
      Anniston Star 12 December 2009

      **New Author Profiles on This Goodly Land
      This Goodly Land: Alabama's Literary Landscape has just added six new Alabama author profiles to its Web site. Like our earlier profiles, these include biographical information about the authors, information about their work, and places where interested readers can go to find out more. Our latest additions are novelist Jack Bethea, travel and nature writer Archie Carr, journalist and nonfiction writer Frye Gaillard, crime fiction writer Carolyn Haines, and novelists/children’s book authors Wyatt Blassingame and Virginia Sorensen.
      http://tinyurl.com/yd5h7sb
      This Goodly Land: Alabama's Literary Landscape 12 December 2009

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **City's cultural arts center closer to reality
      http://tinyurl.com/yfyjazz
      Tuscaloosa News 16 December 2009

      **Sharing love of painting
      "Among those pieces [at the Smithsonian] sits a Venetian city scene created by Gayle Jones of North Shelby and lions painted by Sandy and Gary Johnson of Westover."
      http://tinyurl.com/y8ea7mk
      Shelby County Reporter 14 December 2009

      **Jennifer Morrison, Matthew Modine and Elizabeth Franz Join ‘Miracle Worker’
      http://tinyurl.com/ybrbblw
      New York Times/ArtsBeat blog 13 December 2009

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no entries this issue]

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Alabama Guild of Decorative Artists
      http://theagoda.org/

      **Forthcoming Books with Alabama Connections

      Davies, Sharon. _Rising Road: A True Tale of Love, Race and Religion in America_. Oxford University Press, February 2010 [About the murder of Father James E. Coyle in Birmingham in 1921]
      Publishers Weekly review at http://tinyurl.com/yb8znmv

      Thompson, Gabriel. _Working in the Shadows: A Year of Doing the Jobs (Most) Americans Won't Do. Nation, February 2010 [Includes poultry plants in Alabama]
      Publishers Weekly review at http://tinyurl.com/yb8znmv

      **Brief History of Stockton
      http://www.stocktonala.com/index_files/Page456.htm

      **Haunted Places in Alabama
      http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/alabama.htm

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events