Ala. History/Culture in the News: 2-4 Dec & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009
      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites and blogs are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in or sometimes unrelated to the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Wreaths to be placed on Madison vets' graves [Dec. 5]
      http://tinyurl.com/y9sszpl
      Huntsville Times 4 December 2009

      **Holiday tour of homes [Dec. 5; includes historic Shelby Springs home]
      http://tinyurl.com/yeg3uke
      Shelby County Reporter 2 December 2009

      **10 stops on Christmas Tour of Homes in Citronelle [Dec. 5; includes historic homes]
      http://tinyurl.com/ygk4thb
      Mobile Press-Register 3 December 2009

      **Brown Bag Lunch Program: A Christmas Memory Featuring Dolores Hydock [December 9]
      The holiday season does not begin until you see Dolores Hydock present Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory. Join us for our annual holiday treat and get the season into full swing! Wednesday, December 9, noon. Feed your body and mind at BPL's Brown Bag Lunch Programs. You bring the lunch and we'll bring the drinks. Wednesdays at noon in the Arrington Auditorium located on the 3rd floor of the Linn-Henley Research Library, 2100 Park Place.
      http://tinyurl.com/ylpcbg6

      **Book signings planned [Dec. 11 and 22; Fairhope]
      [Ala. authors Linda Busby Parker and Chris Warner]
      http://tinyurl.com/ydjtmew
      Mobile Press-Register 4 December 2009

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Happy birthday, Montgomery [190th]
      http://tinyurl.com/ygnxenl
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 December 2009

      **AEA celebrates 40th anniversary of merger [of state's black and white teacher organizations]
      http://tinyurl.com/ylrsxlw
      Florence Times Daily 4 December 2009

      **Selma officials mark welcome center's opening
      [See also http://tinyurl.com/yzaloea ]
      http://tinyurl.com/yjmsflo
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 December 2009

      **A second look at utopia
      [Mary Lois Timbes' second book about Fairhope, "The Fair Hope of Heaven: A Hundred Years After Utopia."]
      http://tinyurl.com/yhko34t
      BaldwinCountyNow.com 3 December 2009

      **124-year-old Middle Bay Lighthouse to stay put
      http://tinyurl.com/yjjnx7n
      Mobile Press-Register 3 December 2009

      **Helen Keller statue replica to arrive at [state] Capitol
      http://tinyurl.com/yggkgbc
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 December 2009

      **Plan to move 19th-century Alabama lighthouse rejected
      http://tinyurl.com/yjsor9g
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 December 2009

      **b. 12-03-1916 - Rabon Delmore - Elkmont, AL - d. 12-4-1952 guitar, singer: "Grand Ole Opry"
      [See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Delmore_Brothers ]
      old.time.radio Digest V2009 Issue #231
      http://lists.oldradio.net/

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      December 4: http://tinyurl.com/ya67f3o
      December 3: http://tinyurl.com/yzddozb
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Historical marker brings Wilson Pickett's family to Prattville
      Singer honored by hometown
      http://tinyurl.com/yhj7d8y
      Our Prattville-A Newsmagazine 2 December 2009

      **Steve Flowers [column]: Fob James pulls upset, elected as governor again [in 1994]
      http://tinyurl.com/ykhwro3
      Prattville Progress 2 December 2009

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Huntsville Symphony Orchestra conductor Carlos Miguel Prieto nominated for a Grammy Award
      http://tinyurl.com/yfkff9n
      Huntsville Times blog 4 December 2009

      **[Mac] McAnally earns Grammy salute
      http://tinyurl.com/yj472o9
      Florence Times Daily 4 December 2009

      **Alabama pastor Jody Trautwein, a Birmingham mayoral candidate featured in film 'Bruno,' still hasn't seen movie
      http://tinyurl.com/ydh39vo
      Birmingham News blog 4 December 2009

      **Jimmy Buffett tells tales of home on 'Buffet Hotel'
      http://tinyurl.com/yjy9lno
      Mobile Press-Register blog 3 December 2009

      **Trussville's Rebecca Gilman opens play 'The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter' at New York Theatre Workshop
      http://tinyurl.com/yck48nu
      Birmingham News blog 3 December 2009

      ** The Locals Have It: The Birmingham Tapes [22 songs by local musicians]
      http://tinyurl.com/yzmv9tk
      Birmingham Magazine December 2009

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Former state Sen. Pierre Pelham, a force for USA medical school, dies at 80
      http://tinyurl.com/yd6b6aj
      Mobile Press-Register 4 December 2009

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Community Theater [in Brundidge] Rises from the Ashes
      Friends & Family [Alfa] winter 2009, p22
      http://www.alfafarmers.org/friendsnfamily/ [winter issue not yet online]

      **The Wordsmith
      [J. Paul] Till to Retire after 34 Years of Telling Farmers' Stories
      [Till has written for various Alabama Farmers Federation publications]
      Friends & Family [Alfa] winter 2009, p13
      http://www.alfafarmers.org/friendsnfamily/ [winter issue not yet online]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events