Ala. History/Culture in the News: 2-11 Nov & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2009
      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Monroeville's second Fruitcake Festival features reading of Truman Capote's 'A Christmas Memory'
      [Friday, November 13]
      http://tinyurl.com/yjau8jt
      Birmingham News blog 10 November 2009

      **Citronelle artist chairs Port City Craftsmen Winter Holiday Arts and Craft Show [Nov. 13-15]
      http://tinyurl.com/yc49r6p
      Mobile Press-Register 11 November 2009

      **Big Band Sounds in the Shoals [November 15]
      http://tinyurl.com/yfwb7hy
      Florence Times Daily 10 November 2009

      **"The Autauga Genealogical Society will meet Sunday, November 15, at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in downtown Prattville. Last month our program was on preservation of family or other interesting memorabilia. As a follow-up this meeting will be a "show and tell". Attendees are asked to bring a picture, document or other historical item and tell a brief history about the item. These items do not have to be about or from Autauga County. Attendees are also asked to bring family history information for the Autauga-Prattville Library family history files. Perhaps you already have info in the library but it has since been updated. You may want to contribute a family group sheet, a family history report, or copies of probate records. Visitors are always welcome to attend. Caroline Horton, President"
      http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~alags/

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Veteran recalls his ordeal as prisoner in World War II
      http://tinyurl.com/yhrwyv7
      Mobile Press-Register 11 November 2009

      **1976 time capsule opened
      Items sealed during U.S. bicentennial in 1976 will be part of Baldwin County's 200th birthday
      http://tinyurl.com/y9jjxhj
      Mobile Press-Register 11 November 2009

      **Montgomery man [Chet Moeller] named one of Navy football's top players of past 50 years
      http://tinyurl.com/yhfd59o
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 November 2009

      **1989 November 11- The Civil Rights Memorial is dedicated in Montgomery, Alabama.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      This Week in Alabama History
      http://tinyurl.com/yfqaetl
      Gadsden Messenger 10 November 2009

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      November 11: http://tinyurl.com/yzekuo9
      November 10: http://tinyurl.com/yjaya83
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Moulton family donates historic documents to Calhoun Community College
      http://tinyurl.com/yeu42fz
      Huntsville Times blog 9 November 2009

      **UAB's James Raper Named to Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame
      http://tinyurl.com/yzbmucm
      UAB Media Relations 3 November 2009

      **UAB School of Health Professions Celebrates 40 Years, Honors Alumni
      http://tinyurl.com/yldoefs
      UAB Media Relations 2 November 2009

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Local artists win TV art race [Victoria Antoine and David Messer]
      http://tinyurl.com/ykm3aza
      Florence Times Daily 10 November 2009

      **Student's book opens children's eyes to differences
      [Abigail Hardin, _look at me; I am just like you_]
      http://tinyurl.com/yfbs4z7
      Tuscaloosa News 10 November 2009

      **Migration's Impact on The New South, Labor Focus of UAB Professor's Book
      [Colin Davis, _Migration and the Transformation of the Southern Workplace Since 1945_]
      http://tinyurl.com/yzzezkr
      UAB Media Relations 5 November 2009

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Pickens Commissioner [Earnest "B.B."] Summerville dies in office
      http://tinyurl.com/yj8cztt
      Tuscaloosa News 9 November 2009

      **Gerald Jack, [Gene] Stallings' right-hand man, dies
      http://tinyurl.com/yz9vxm3
      Tuscaloosa News 6 November 2009

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Tommy Morehead's Alabama Arts Channel on YouTube
      http://www.youtube.com/user/H82c3G

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events