RE: [alabamahistory] History research paper

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23 10:43 AM

      Not sure if this item is the type of thing  you’re looking for…

      *Crudele, Juanita W. A Lynching Bee: Butler County Style. Alabama Historical Quarterly 1980; 42(1-2): 59-71

      Covers the April 21, 1895, lynching in Greenville of two black men [John Rattler and Zeb Colley] and three black women [Martha and Alice Greene and Mary Dean] for the alleged ax murder and cremation of Watts Murphy. Perhaps the worst multiple lynching in Alabama history.

      I have not read this article in some years and am not sure it meets your criteria…perhaps you could give us a specific example or two of the type of events and/or laws you have in mind? And what’s your deadline???

      I imagine Wayne Flynt’s recent history _Alabama in the Twentieth Century_ might have some leads….

      Other subscribers want to chime in??

      A.J. Wright

      ajwright@...

      I am just beginning a research paper for my history class. I am brainstorming for ideas. I must write about either a racial crime or a law in Alabama that was racially motivated against African Americans (or any other race for that matter) between the years of 1877 and 1910. I am hoping to identify an example that may not be widely known about or typically discussed. If you have any ideas I will be forever in debt to you. I considered going to the Confederate Library in Clanton, Al to read. We went there last week on a fieldtrip and it was very interesting.

      Billie G.

    • billie g
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24 11:33 AM
        This is the perfect example of what I am looking for. I actually read the book, "A Murder in Virginia", and wanted to identify an event in Alabama that was is line with that published from Virginia. By the way... I have photos I promised from Horseshoe Bend and will add a few from our trip to the Confederate trip as well.

        --- In alabamahistory@yahoogroups.com, Amos J Wright <ajwright@...> wrote:

        > Not sure if this item is the type of thing you're looking for...
        >
        > *Crudele, Juanita W. A Lynching Bee: Butler County Style. Alabama Historical Quarterly 1980; 42(1-2): 59-71
        >
        > Covers the April 21, 1895, lynching in Greenville of two black men [John Rattler and Zeb Colley] and three black women [Martha and Alice Greene and Mary Dean] for the alleged ax murder and cremation of Watts Murphy. Perhaps the worst multiple lynching in Alabama history.
        >
        > I have not read this article in some years and am not sure it meets your criteria...perhaps you could give us a specific example or two of the type of events and/or laws you have in mind? And what's your deadline???
        >
        > I imagine Wayne Flynt's recent history _Alabama in the Twentieth Century_ might have some leads....
        >
        > Other subscribers want to chime in??
        >
        > A.J. Wright
        > ajwright@...<mailto:ajwright@...>

      • billie g
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24 2:16 PM
          As far as your questions, "perhaps you could give us a specific example or two of the type of events and/or laws you have in mind? And what's your deadline???"

          I have no specific examples in mind other than the murder book I mentioned from Virginia. It was a required reading from our class this semester. This leads me to believe she (professor) is looking for something on this theme. The paper is due on the last day of class on December 8th. It is not even a required paper, but will offer 10 points added to our final grade. Having a letter grade is a big deal. It could be the difference between a B and an A. I hope I will have an A without the paper...but extra breathing room is always welcomed.