Ala. History/Culture in the News: 24 Sept-2 Oct & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      **Alabama towns celebrate haunted tales [in October]
      Florence Times Daily 2 October 2009

      **[UA] Culture fest travels to Northport [Oct. 4]
      Tuscaloosa News 2 October 2009

      **Quiltmakers Of Gee's Bend, The
      Wednesday, October 07, 2009 at 9:00PM Alabama Public Television
      For more than 150 years, the women of Gee's Bend, Alabama, have made quilts reflecting their history and daily lives. Today, art critics worldwide compare them to the great creative enclaves of the Italian Renaissance.

      **"Jacksonville State University is pleased to welcome home Pulitzer Prize-winning author Rick Bragg, who will debut his new book, The Most They Ever Had, on our campus next Wednesday, October 7. We invite you to join us for this special event, at which you will have the opportunity to be among the very first to purchase your copy of the book and have it signed by the author. Please help us by distributing the following press release to your colleagues, boards of directors, friends organizations and patron e-lists. If you have any questions, please call me at (256) 782-5636 For directions to our campus, please visit http://www.jsu.edu/admissions/directions.html " Angie Ayers Finley, JSU Office of Public Relations, 256.782.5468 fax: 256.782.8441

      **Wanna hear (and see) a good ghost story? [Oct. 8, 13, 20, 22; Haunt Walks in Athens]
      Huntsville Times 30 September 2009

      **Birmingham program that honors Alabama World War II vets to receive honor of its own
      Birmingham News blog 1 October 2009

      **Former University of Mobile athlete [Sarah Thomas] becomes first woman to referee major college football
      Mobile Press-Register 1 October 2009

      **Fire damages bandroom at historic Trinity High School
      [Operated 1865-1970; only school for blacks in the county for many years]
      Athens News Courier 1 October 2009

      **US House approves Helen Keller statue
      Montgomery Advertiser 1 October 2009

      **[U.S. Rep. Parker] Griffith honors Keller on House floor
      Florence Times Daily 1 October 2009

      **1945 Oct 1- Heavyweight champion, Joe Louis, is discharged from the
      FROM: Today in Black History

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      October 2: http://tinyurl.com/yabzr4p
      October 1: http://tinyurl.com/ydgu8uu
      Mobile Press-Register

      **The age of innocence
      Virginia Van der Veer Hamilton writes another history--her own
      Birmingham News 27 September 2009, pp 1E, 6E

      **Art group signs deal for facility [in Orange Beach]
      Beach CITE Studios' director says new agreement will allow nonprofit art facility to open by holiday season
      Mobile Press-Register 2 October 2009

      **Treasures found
      Benefit sale helps arts program flourish
      Florence Times Daily 2 October 2009

      **Mobile dancer [Calvin Turner] makes the cut on Fox TV's 'So You Think You Can Dance'
      Mobile Press-Register 1 October 2009

      **Artist [Nikki Masterson] creates profession out of colored glass
      Shelby County Reporter 30 September 2009

      **Seven New Author Profiles on This Goodly Land
      This Goodly Land: Alabama's Literary Landscape has just added seven new Alabama author profiles to its Web site. Like our earlier profiles, these include biographical information about the authors, information about their work, and places where interested readers can go to find out more. Our latest additions are mystery writers Ace Atkins, Tim Dorsey, and Richard North Patterson; historical novelists Douglas Fields Bailey, Lonnie Coleman, and J. H. Ingraham; and travel writer Octavia Walton Le Vert.
      Midge Coates, Project Manager
      This Goodly Land: Alabama's Literary Landscape

      **Extemporaneous Theater Company brings improv to the Magic City
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 29 September 2009

      **Smithsonian Magazine accents Cahaba marvels [Mike Bolton column]
      Birmingham News 27 September 2009, p 20B

      **From Idol to Angel
      Taylor Hicks Returns to Birmingham
      Birmingham Weekly 24 September 2009, p27

      **Postcards from the Recession
      From L.A. to Alabama
      The university job was too good to pass up; or is it?
      [Author Kerry Madden is a new faculty member in the UAB English Department; a UAB Reporter profile is at http://tinyurl.com/ydp6x8b ]
      Los Angeles Times 20 September 2009

      **Teacher, coach 'Black Jack' Taylor dies
      Mobile Press-Register 1 October 2009

      **Lester Cobb, Jr. [obituary]
      [Birmingham native Cobb was a jazz drummer among other accomplishments and the nephew of Ned Cobb, the subject of the 1974 book, _All God's Dangers_]
      Birmingham News 26 September 2009

      **_The Splendor Falls_ by Rosemary Clement-Moore. Delacorte, $17.99 (528p) ISBN 978-0-385-73690-9
      Seventeen-year-old Sylvie has recently lost both her father and her nascent career as a ballerina. Sent to visit family in Alabama during her newly remarried mother's honeymoon, Sylvie grapples not only with dislocation and grief, but with hallucinations-in Central Park, in the airport and in her family's antebellum mansion, Bluestone Hill-that she cannot control or explain. Her cousin Paula, an old-school steel magnolia, is no comfort, but Sylvie finds warmth in the competing attentions of the Tom Sawyeresque Shawn Maddox and Rhys Griffith, a visitor from Wales with secrets of his own. As Sylvie learns more about Shawn, Rhys and the history of Bluestone Hill, she finds strength to understand her family's past and her own unsettling but hopeful future. Sylvie's voice is sharp and articulate, and Clement-Moore (the Maggie Quinn: Girl vs. Evil series) anchors the story in actual locations and history, offering au courant speculations about the nature of ghosts and magic. Her ear for both adolescent bitchery and sweetness remains sure, and her ability to write realistic, edgy dialogue without relying on obscenity or stereotype is a pleasure. Ages 14-up. (Sept.)
      Publishers Weekly 28 September 2009

      **Alabama History Community Calendar

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      **Birmingham Rewound

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]

      **activeculture.info History Events

      **activeculture.info Literature Events

      **alabamahistory related links

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810