Re: Civil War

  • Jeff Jakeman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 1999
      See Gail S. Hasson's article "Health and Welfare of Freedmen
      Reconstruction Alabama," (_Alabama Review_ 35 (April 1982): 94-110).
      Selman hospital is briefly mentioned. The article is drawn from her
      detailed dissertation on the medical services of the Freedmen's Bureau. I
      don't have the title of the dissertation but it was done at Univ. of
      Alabama in 1982.

      Robert J. Jakeman, Associate Professor Voice: 334-844-6634
      Editor, The Alabama Review Fax: 334-844-6673
      History Department Internet: jakemrj@...
      310 Thach Hall Alabama Review Home Page:
      Auburn University, AL 36849-5207 http://www.auburn.edu/~bamarev/

      On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, michael fitzgerald wrote:

      > From: michael fitzgerald <fitz@...>
      >
      > Just got back into town, saw this inquiry about Selma, don't know if
      > anybody else has answered it yet in my flood of e-mail.
      >
      > But I have looked at some material on Selma in the Spring of 1865. Here's
      > what I know, if it helps much. Wilson's raiders swept through Selma in the
      > first few days of April, stayed around long enough to lay waste to much of
      > the city surrounding the munitions and other war materials facilities.
      > Later that month, Union forces under General Canby came in from the South,
      > up the river from Mobile if memory serves. They occupied the city for the
      > next several months, I believe, established a camp for ex-slave refugees
      > and eventually a freedmen's bureau office. I suppose a hospital may have
      > been associated with this effort, and someone wrote a dissertation on the
      > Bureau's hospital activities that may be worth a look. Gail Hassem, or
      > some such name, vaguely sticks in my memory, perhaps some other reader may
      > have the exact citation.
      >
      > I hope this is of some use.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Michael Fitzgerald
      > fitz@...
      >
      > At 08:56 PM 6/21/99 -0000, you wrote:
      > >From: fgermano@...
      > >
      > >Does anyone have any ideas or sugestions on how I can find where the Union
      > Second Cavalry Division Hospital was located in Selma, Alabama during April
      > 1865? Any help would be deeply appreciated. Since I live in New York
      > state it's difficult to obtain information so far away.
      > >Virginia Germano

      > >Get involved. Share your thoughts!
      > >http://www.onelist.com
      > >Join the ONElist Weekly Survey. Go to homepage for details.
      > >Archives for the list can be viewed at
      > >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

      > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

      > Archives for the list can be viewed at
      > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

    • Mark Palmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 1999
        The dissertation Jeff referred to is
        Hasson, Gail Snowden. "The Medical Activities of the Freedmen's Bureau in Reconstruction Alabama, 1865-1868." Ph. D.
        diss., University of Alabama, 1982. UMI Order Number: GAX82-24276.

        From: Jeff Jakeman <jakemrj@...>

        See Gail S. Hasson's article "Health and Welfare of Freedmen
        Reconstruction Alabama," (_Alabama Review_ 35 (April 1982): 94-110).
        Selman hospital is briefly mentioned. The article is drawn from her
        detailed dissertation on the medical services of the Freedmen's Bureau. I
        don't have the title of the dissertation but it was done at Univ. of
        Alabama in 1982.

        Robert J. Jakeman, Associate Professor Voice: 334-844-6634
        Editor, The Alabama Review Fax: 334-844-6673
        History Department Internet: jakemrj@...
        310 Thach Hall Alabama Review Home Page:
        Auburn University, AL 36849-5207 http://www.auburn.edu/~bamarev/

        On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, michael fitzgerald wrote:

        > From: michael fitzgerald <fitz@...>
        >
        > Just got back into town, saw this inquiry about Selma, don't know if
        > anybody else has answered it yet in my flood of e-mail.
        >
        > But I have looked at some material on Selma in the Spring of 1865. Here's
        > what I know, if it helps much. Wilson's raiders swept through Selma in the
        > first few days of April, stayed around long enough to lay waste to much of
        > the city surrounding the munitions and other war materials facilities.
        > Later that month, Union forces under General Canby came in from the South,
        > up the river from Mobile if memory serves. They occupied the city for the
        > next several months, I believe, established a camp for ex-slave refugees
        > and eventually a freedmen's bureau office. I suppose a hospital may have
        > been associated with this effort, and someone wrote a dissertation on the
        > Bureau's hospital activities that may be worth a look. Gail Hassem, or
        > some such name, vaguely sticks in my memory, perhaps some other reader may
        > have the exact citation.
        >
        > I hope this is of some use.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael Fitzgerald
        > fitz@...
        >
        > At 08:56 PM 6/21/99 -0000, you wrote:
        > >From: fgermano@...
        > >
        > >Does anyone have any ideas or sugestions on how I can find where the Union
        > Second Cavalry Division Hospital was located in Selma, Alabama during April
        > 1865? Any help would be deeply appreciated. Since I live in New York
        > state it's difficult to obtain information so far away.
        > >Virginia Germano

        > >Get involved. Share your thoughts!
        > >http://www.onelist.com
        > >Join the ONElist Weekly Survey. Go to homepage for details.
        > >Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

        > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
        > http://www.onelist.com
        > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

        > Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

        ONElist: where real people with real interests get connected.
        http://www.onelist.com
        Join a new list today!