Ala. History/Culture in the News: 10-15 Jul & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2009

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      **Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum turns 20 [July 25]

      http://tinyurl.com/mrrdtj

      Montgomery Advertiser 15 July 2009

      **"We Three Queens" at Theatre Downtown in Birmingham , Alabama a mixed bag [through July 25]

      [Play written by Birmingham author Billy Ray Brewton]

      http://tinyurl.com/ncszez

      Birmingham News blog 10 July 2009

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Carl Heinz Mandel was part of von Braun team

      http://tinyurl.com/lxbn7b

      Huntsville Times 15 July 2009

      ** Edgewater community planning host of events ahead of centennial anniversary celebration

      http://tinyurl.com/mv897s

      Birmingham News `15 July 2009

      **St. James United Methodist Church in Warrior celebrates 125th anniversary

      http://tinyurl.com/nsmlbw

      Birmingham News 15 July 2009

      **Birmingham Historical Society examines Mountain Brook Village in new book

      http://tinyurl.com/moqc7e

      Birmingham News 15 July 2009

      **Norwood Apothecary has new name, new Fultondale location [after almost 30 years in previous location]

      http://tinyurl.com/m7xkae

      Birmingham News 15 July 2009

      **This Week in Alabama History

      http://tinyurl.com/luy2c7

      Gadsden Messenger 14 July 2009

      **Mobile WWII pilot laid to rest in Alabama after 65 years of interment in the Philippines [Woodie L. McVay]

      http://tinyurl.com/lh9ul7

      Mobile Press-Register 14 July 2009

      **Former Negro League baseball players honored in Birmingham at Southern League All-Star Game

      http://tinyurl.com/m3ejfw

      Birmingham News 14 July 2009

      **Birmingham City Council gives OK on Rickwood Field work [renovations, new museum]

      http://tinyurl.com/ngtarx

      Birmingham News blog 14 July 2009

      **Historic [Mims] hotel welcomes different sort of patronage

      Hotel has been salon for 15 years

      http://tinyurl.com/lb2vsc

      Prattville Progress 14 July 2009

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]

      July 15: http://tinyurl.com/lol6an

      July 14: http://tinyurl.com/ltazqy

      Mobile Press-Register

      **Bulldozing history: Oxford sold an ancient Indian mound as fill dirt for a Sam's Club parking lot

      http://tinyurl.com/nppjdx

      Birmingham News blog 12 July 2009

      **2009 July 11: Actress and UA graduate Sela Ward is 53.

      [See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sela_Ward ]

      **Forbes family hits new note as stalwart piano store closes

      [Forbes Piano founded in Oxford in 1889 by E.E. Forbes]

      Birmingham News 10 July 2009, pp 7C, 8C

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Kentuck earns national honor

      "The Kentuck Festival of the Arts is listed as one of '50 Authentic American Experiences 2009' on Time magazine's Web site."

      http://tinyurl.com/lxxcjl

      Tuscaloosa News 15 July 2009

      **Long-time Birmingham , Alabama Chamber of Commerce magazine editor Joe O'Donnell steps down

      Leaves as new alliance forged [He edited " Birmingham " magazine for 22 years]

      http://tinyurl.com/kvtbac

      Birmingham News 11 July 2009

      **[Pastor Michael D.] Moore pens grief book

      [Title is "Weep Not: Overcoming Grief, Disappointment and Loss"]

      Birmingham News 11 July 2009, p1F

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **Original Gospel Harmonettes of Birmingham member Mildred Howard dies

      http://tinyurl.com/n72e9z

      Birmingham News 14 July 2009

      **PAUL JAMES HEMPHILL Jr. [Obituary]

      [Author Hemphill was born in Birmingham and an AU graduate.]

      http://tinyurl.com/lqfvzq

      Birmingham News 13 July 2009

      **Big screen entertainment attracts families [Harpersville Drive In]

      http://tinyurl.com/kkzchz

      Shelby County Reporter 11 July 2009

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **[no entries this issue]

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]

      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound

      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events