Ft. Mims Massacre 196th Anniversary: Aug. 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 7:34 AM
      Forwarded from the FortMimsRemembered group... ajwright@...

      From: FortMimsRemembered@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FortMimsRemembered@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:54 AM
      To: FortMimsRemembered@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FortMimsRemembered] Digest Number 378

      Drums along the Tensaw
      Posted by: "horsesoljer" BrienMcW@...   horsesoljer
      Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:12 am (PDT)

      Greetings One and All:

      Fort Mims approaches. Time is nigh for preparations to present yet another episode of this early American tragedy. Just reminding you that you are needed onstage for the 196th anniversary event. We are four years away from the bicentennial year. That gives us just a few more opportunities to improve our impressions, recruit new participants, and perfect our scenarios. Each event between this August and August 2013 will be a vital rehearsal for the 200th anniversary and reenactment. We need to get this right and we can only do it with the help and dedication that so many of you have shown over the years.

      As always, we need Creek warriors. Many of you have joined me and my 6th Alabama Cavalry group of reenactors in portraying the Red Stick Creeks who attacked the fort. Put on the war paint and feathers and take the plunge with us. Remember the Indians had a 2 to 1 numerical advantage and we should attempt to show it. We are teaching history.

      Consider purchasing a flintlock if you don't have one. Firing a flintlock is a real challenge and great fun. This wss the correct weapon of the period. Rifle, musket, pistol...it matters not. Percussions will still be allowed, but hopefully by 2013 there will be nothing but authentic weaponry in use in the battles. That would be a fine goal for us to set.

      Let's get the emails flying and start some buzz about the Fort Mims Commemoration weekend, August 28-30, 2009. Tell everyone you know and let's see if we can't make this the best (barring hurricanes) Fort Mims event ever. I look forward to hearing from any of you by way of this site or personal email.

      See you at Fort Mims, the good Lord willin' an' the Creek don't rise!

      Brien McWilliams
      BrienMcW@...
      Reenactor Coordinator
      FMRA Board member