Ala. History/Culture in the News: 14-17 June & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2009

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are presumably working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I either could not find online versions or could not find a free one.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      **Future of arts and humanities in Alabama to be discussed at AU [June 25]
      http://tinyurl.com/nccto6
      Columbus [GA] Ledger-Enquirer 16 June 2009

      **June walking tours continue across Alabama [in “some 30 towns”]
      http://tinyurl.com/nnaddw
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 June 2009

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Mysteries of Tuscaloosa
      http://tinyurl.com/nqb3nk
      Tuscaloosa News 17 June 2009

      **This Week in Alabama History June 18-22
      http://tinyurl.com/kot9cc
      Gadsden Messenger 17 June 2009

      **Professional Opticians to mark 60th anniversary
      http://tinyurl.com/m7ua23
      Gadsden Times 16 June 2009

      **Retired firefighter [Roy Simpson] to be honored by former team
      http://tinyurl.com/l3ca8s
      Tuscaloosa News 16 June 2009

      **1991 June 16-Natalie Cole's album 'Unforgettable' is released. The album

                consists of her rendition of 24 songs by her father, Nat

                King Cole, and includes the title track, specially remixed

                to include both father and daughter's voices.  It will be

                her most successful album, selling over 4,000,000 copies,

                and will sweep the Grammy Awards ceremonies in 1992.

      1951 June 15-Joe Louis knocks out Lee Savold in a closed-circuit TV

                fight seen by fight fans in movie theatres in six cities.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      June 17: http://tinyurl.com/nhw5tw
      June 16: http://tinyurl.com/nmkqym
      Mobile Press-Register

      2009 June 16: Diana DeGarmo is 22; the Birmingham native was runner-up in the 2004 American Idol competition. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_DeGarmo

      ** Auburn University students help save Alabama history
      [ Shiloh-Rosenwald School in Notasulga]
      http://tinyurl.com/nr8h9u
      Columbus [GA] Ledger-Enquirer 15 June 2009

      **This Baseball Patriarch Could Really Pitch Himself
      [Review of new biography of Satchel Paige by Larry Tye]
      http://tinyurl.com/mf3o8a
      New York Times 15 June 2009

      **Hippie hangout [Kaffeeklatsch] turns 25; far out, man
      http://tinyurl.com/nmlzs2
      Huntsville Times 11 June 2009

      **Low Tide: “Ears” Whitworth and the Lost History of Alabama Football
      http://tinyurl.com/lvfblv
      Birmingham Weekly 10 June 2009

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Russian Orthodox priest has tended a flock in Brookside for 48 years
      [Rev. Benedict Tallant]
      http://tinyurl.com/m5xc6t
      Birmingham News 17 June 2009

      **The Music Hall not a typical honky tonk
      http://tinyurl.com/m6r2uj
      Prattville Progress 17 June 2009

      **’When I Find the Ocean’ selected for Southern Arts Federation tour
      [Film directed & produced by Tonya S. Holly, owner of Cypress Moon Studios, Sheffield ]
      http://tinyurl.com/lbewdn
      Florence Times-Daily 16 June 2009

      **One Sweet Business
      Irondale’s Creative Concepts provides the world with sugary—and tart—treats
      Birmingham News 16 June 2009, p E1

      **InStudio: URI
      [“InStudio” videos feature local bands, in this case Uri]
      http://tinyurl.com/nuyory
      Tuscaloosa News 15 June 2009

      **Lure-maker William Davis says the secret is staying away from fads
      http://tinyurl.com/nldezp
      Birmingham News 14 June 2009

      **Ex-Birmingham writer Justin Fox paints lively tale about efficient markets
      http://tinyurl.com/n7ol9u
      Birmingham News 14 June 2009

      **Comic [by Lee Long] takes angelic angle
      http://tinyurl.com/mqllvh
      Shelby County Reporter 12 June 2009

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **Marian Ann Dowdell Woods, widow of the Rev. Abraham Woods Jr., has died
      Husband was civil rights icon
      http://tinyurl.com/n3gk93
      Birmingham News 17 June 2009

      **Barry Beckett, Muscle Shoals Musician, Dies at 66
      http://tinyurl.com/neyrpg
      New York Times 16 June 2009

      **Leroy Hill Coffee founder dies in south Alabama
      [see also http://tinyurl.com/kmokgc ]
      http://tinyurl.com/lx8xd8
      Gadsden Times 16 June 2009

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **Category Summary (Cyndi's List - U.S. - Alabama

                http://www.CyndisList.com/al.htm ):

      * New Links:            0

      * Updated Links:      1

      * Removed Links:      0

      * Total Links:           3297

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]

      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound

      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events