Ala. History/Culture in the News: 27-29 May & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2009

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      WARNING: Many articles on newspaper and magazine web sites are accompanied by nasty, anonymous comments about individuals and subjects in the posted articles. Some articles in these listings will unfortunately include such commentary.

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      **Exhibit pays tribute to beloved instructor
      Bruce Crowe; Tuscumbia; June 1-July 3]
      http://tinyurl.com/lwktc2
      Florence Times-Daily 29 May 2009

      **Take a walk on the historic side
      [ Florence , Sheffield , Tuscumbia; various dates in June]
      http://tinyurl.com/leyx97
      Florence Times-Daily 29 May 2009

      **Pathways to Unknown Worlds: Sun Ra, El Saturn & Chicago ’s Afro-Futurist Underground, 1954-1968 [see reviews of this exhibit below]
      Institute of Contemporary Art/University of Pennsylvania [through Aug. 2]
      http://www.icaphila.org/exhibitions/sunra.php

      **Sun Ra redux [ Philadelphia ; through Aug. 2]
      An exhibit casts new light on the late jazz musician and utopian thinker who lived in Philadelphia for 25 years
      New York Times review of exhibit: http://tinyurl.com/lhvm5k ]
      http://tinyurl.com/l4hwfr
      Philadelphia Inquirer 5 May 2009

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Former Alabama [football] star John Mitchell to enter ASHOF
      http://tinyurl.com/kl27yy
      Mobile Press-Register 29 May 2009

      **Poarch Creeks give to state history exhibit
      [More info at http://tinyurl.com/n2t5g9 ]
      http://tinyurl.com/m45abw
      Tuscaloosa News 29 May 2009

      **Longtime Montgomery catering business casualty of recession
      [Personal Touch, open 38 years]
      http://tinyurl.com/ksspgv
      Montgomery Advertiser 29 May 2009

      **Alabama Sports Hall of Fame: A serious miler
      [Stephen Bolt, first Alabamian to run under-4-minute mile in 1976]
      http://tinyurl.com/necqoh
      Birmingham News 28 May 2009

      **Hot dogs, homers and history at the Rickwood Classic [Ray Melick column]
      http://tinyurl.com/nukvjp
      Birmingham News blog 28 May 2009

      **Centennial Hill community may get historic designation
      http://tinyurl.com/qbmu5m
      Montgomery Advertiser 28 May 2009

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      May 29: http://tinyurl.com/mz3vuc
      May 28: http://tinyurl.com/kktcmd
      Mobile Press-Register

      ** Elmore County 's last Rosenwald school gets historic marker
      http://tinyurl.com/rdhcno
      Prattville Progress 27 May 2009

      **Warren Thompson sailed a world at war
      http://tinyurl.com/q7pf38
      Gadsden Times 27 May 2009

      **Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
      [Tommy] Brooker remembers Tide’s brutal practices
      Former AFL player was on Bryant’s first national championship team at UA
      Birmingham News 27 May 2009, pp 1C, 5C

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Renovated Widget [Recording Studios] signs country act with edge
      [Country band is the Lovin’ 44s from Birmingham ]
      http://tinyurl.com/kwdhu4
      Florence Times-Daily 29 May 2009

      **Sidewalk’s new executive director discusses 11th annual film festival
      http://tinyurl.com/kmvwvc
      AL.com Nightlife blog

      **Auburn professor James Hansen’s book says Challenger disaster grew from fear NASA contract was imperiled
      http://tinyurl.com/knd4bd
      Birmingham News 28 May 2009

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **[no entries this issue]

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **D.P. Lyle, MD
      The Writer’s Medical and Forensics Lab
      [ Huntsville native Lyle is author of such books as Forensics for Dummies]
      http://www.dplylemd.com/index.html

      **Poarch Band of Creek Indians
      http://www.poarchcreekindians.org/xhtml/index.htm

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]

      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound

      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events