Madison Co. Probate Index 1809-1965 now online!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009

      Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:02:44 -0500

      From: leeroses@...

      Subject: [ALMADISO] Probate Index completed

      To: ALMADISO-L@...

            Finally, after several years of effort, the Probate Index 1809 -

      1965 for Madison Co. is now complete and online. It's taken me three years to "Get 'er done", but you may now find it located at:

      http://co.madison.al.us/mcrc/

             It is simply unreal how much work has gone into the probate records. For example, Henriellen Kibbler has volunteered 3 days a week for over 6 years. She, along with several others, took the probate records out of envelopes, repaired the documents, and placed them in acid free file folders. Many original documents were missing.

      Thankfully, the WPA had hand copied those documents and Henriellen has seen to it that the first 8, 000 case files are as completely restored as possible.

            These 15, 524 case files are now ready to be filmed. Hopefully, one can then view these records on CD at the Madison Co. Records Center , the Alabama State Archives, or any LDS center location.

            Of course, without the outstanding leadership of archivist Rhonda Larkin, none of the Madison Co. Records Center indexes would have materialized. The folks at the court house haven't a clue about how much Rhonda has accomplished, but the local and state genealogy communities know and we owe her a debt of gratitude.

            Personally, I have enjoyed being volunteer webmaster of the MCRC website and transcribing many of the files.

      Thanks you all,

      Terry D. Lee