Alabama History/Culture in the News: 25-27 Feb & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27 8:50 AM
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      ** Alabama “Poetry Out Loud” finals are Saturday [Feb. 28]
      http://tinyurl.com/bxgsqb
      Montgomery Advertiser 27 February 2009

      **Myrt Jones to talk about her book [March 9; "A Gadfly's Memoirs"]
      http://tinyurl.com/crrm4x
      Mobile Press-Register 26 February 2009

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Maple Hill [Cemetery] monument will honor rocket team
      http://tinyurl.com/ac7nw8
      Huntsville Times 27 February 2009

      **Museum on Tenn-Tom Waterway planned
      http://tinyurl.com/abhsrv
      Tuscaloosa News 27 February 2009

      **Historians highlight first black legislative caucus [in Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/ajvopf
      Montgomery Advertiser 27 February 2009

      ** Selma building rich in history gets spot on historic registers
      http://tinyurl.com/bykny4
      Montgomery Advertiser 27 February 2009

      ** Phillips Academy students in Alabama make a heritage quilt for their school
      http://tinyurl.com/dlzoa6
      Birmingham News 27 February 2009

      **40-year search for great-grandfather's graves comes to an end [Hiram Langston]
      http://tinyurl.com/ajavf7
      Huntsville Times 26 February 2009

      **
      1965 Feb. 26- During civil rights demonstrations in Selma , Alabama , that were

                designed to get the attention of the Johnson administration in

                Washington , DC , police violence erupts against the marchers.

                In an effort to protect his mother from a beating, 26 year old

                Jimmie Lee Jackson strikes a police officer.  He will join the

                ancestors after being shot and killed.  Civil rights activists,

                outraged by his death, will plan a march from the Edmund   Pettus Bridge in Selma to Montgomery .
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      February 27: http://tinyurl.com/aaxao6
      February 26: http://tinyurl.com/cegnn4
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Building added to national, state registers of historical places
      http://tinyurl.com/byxp7g
      Selma Times-Journal 25 February 2009

      **Moody Council creates historical society
      http://tinyurl.com/aauwgq
      Leeds News 25 February 2009

      **City to rehabilitate 10-story Ensley [Ramsay-McCormack] building
      Birmingham News 25 February 2009, p3B

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      ** Birmingham man [Grover Burt] sings the blues for North Carolina students who learn of history and help at his home
      http://tinyurl.com/cr49v9
      Birmingham News 27 February 2009

      **[Art] Museum to ask council to OK new building plan
      http://tinyurl.com/azseuo
      Huntsville Times 26 February 2009

      ** Alabama 's Jeff Cook is back with own version of "country, soul and rock n' roll"
      http://tinyurl.com/cfzjl7
      Montgomery Advertiser 26 February 2009

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Transplant recipient [Ann Noble Carlton] who spoke out about medication lapses dies
      http://tinyurl.com/aazetb
      Birmingham News 26 February 2009

      **Black education pioneer [ Eugene ] Prater remembered as innovator, visionary
      http://tinyurl.com/deh3nm
      Gadsden Times 26 February 2009

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **[no items this issue]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events