Alabama History/Culture in the News: 23-25 Feb & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2009
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **”Alabama Fish” exhibit [by Montgomery artist Dockery Austin] continues through Friday [Feb. 27] at Huntingdon gallery
      http://tinyurl.com/amocae
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 February 2009

      **Architectural historian to discuss renowned African-American architect [Feb. 27]
      [Dr. Ellen B. Weiss will discuss Robert Taylor and his long career at Tuskegee ]
      http://tinyurl.com/d6j796
      Tuskegee University press release 23 February 2009

      **Trussville Historical Society presents films made in the wake of the Great Depression [Feb. 28 & March 1]
      [Article includes information about the Cahaba Project, 287 homes built 1936-38]
      http://tinyurl.com/dl5lu2 [see also http://tinyurl.com/bpox9n ]
      Birmingham News 24 February 2009

      **The Southern Literary Trail [March 2009; includes Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/bwwoxp
      Black & White [ Birmingham ] 19 February 2009

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Octavia Frazier biography takes a special look back
      [Frazier wrote the bio of her father in 1964 when she was 90.]
      http://tinyurl.com/be8qs5
      Huntsville Times 25 February 2009

      **Central-Carver school location gets historic marker
      http://tinyurl.com/b59pfr
      Gadsden Messenger 25 February 2009

      **[ Ala. ] Music hall of fame honors Hank Locklin
      http://tinyurl.com/c2jmu7
      Florence Times-Daily 25 February 2009

      **Procedural error nullifies historic district vote by [Tuscaloosa City Council]
      http://tinyurl.com/d3zpzf
      Tuscaloosa News 25 February 2009

      **This Week in Alabama History
      http://tinyurl.com/bmpvel
      Gadsden Messenger 25 February 2009

      **Survey finds no archaeological issues at development site
      http://tinyurl.com/bjcqcc
      Gadsden Times 24 February 2009

      **Two historic cemeteries blocked from public access
      [ Old Prewitt Slave Cemetery and Prewitt-Hagler Cemetery ]
      http://tinyurl.com/d783q3
      Tuscaloosa News 24 February 2009

      **WWII general’s son tours building named for father
      [Building at Maxwell is named after Brig. Gen. Kenneth Walker]
      http://tinyurl.com/abprkv
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 February 2009

      **Dallas co. sheriff reopens ’87 case [murder of Linda Ford]
      http://tinyurl.com/ad2msh
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 February 2009

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1859, 1909, etc.]
      February 25: http://tinyurl.com/bmrxn9
      February 24: http://tinyurl.com/agt5p7
      Mobile Press-Register

      **9th Congressional Civil Rights Pilgrimage to Alabama
      Members of Congress explore how we got where we are today
      http://tinyurl.com/d5a6ec
      PRNewswire 23 February 2009

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Author-photographer David Gelins to talk barbeque in Bessemer , Homewood
      [Gelins’ new book BBQ Joints, includes 7 from Alabama : http://tinyurl.com/bko7q4 ]
      http://tinyurl.com/bc5zth
      Birmingham News 25 February 2009

      **Crowds greet “Makeover” family
      http://tinyurl.com/cgp9r3
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 February 2009

      ** Birmingham photographer [Ryan Russell] gains reputation shooting rock bands
      Birmingham News 22 February 2009, pp 1E, 4E

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Retired Press-Register circulation chief [Roy Carlton] Everett dies
      http://tinyurl.com/bz3u8m
      Mobile Press-Register 24 February 2009

      **Ben Matthews ‘took care of his family, community’
      [Matthews, who was Scottsboro police officer and county commissioner, died Feb. 7]
      http://tinyurl.com/d8doke
      Huntsville Times 24 February 2009

      **Konrad Dannenberg, 96, Top Rocket Scientist, Dies
      http://tinyurl.com/cfewa9
      New York Times 23 February 2009

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      Chronicle Review/Chronicle of Higher Education V55N25, 27 February 2009

      **Coffee talk with [ Ala. band] Vulture Whale's Wes McDonald and Lester Nuby
      http://tinyurl.com/c7a4bg
      Birmingham Weekly 12 February 2009

      **Interview with Margaret Brown about her documentary on Mobile 's Mardi Gras, "The Order of Myths"
      http://tinyurl.com/an88zp
      PBS/Independent Lens

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events