Alabama History/Culture in the News: 25-27 Dec & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Historic exhibit
      "The exhibit "Viola Liuzzo: An Exemplary Woman in Extraordinary Times," honoring the slain Civil Rights worker from Detroit will open 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at the Southfield Public Library, 26300 Evergreen. On loan from the Michigan Women's Historical Center and Hall of Fame, the exhibit chronicles the life of Liuzzo who was killed in Alabama in March 1965 at the height of the Civil Rights Movement. The opening includes a showing of the 2003 documentary Home of the Brave: The Defiant Spirit of Viola Liuzzo. The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was among those in attendance at Liuzzo's funeral and the exhibit serves as a forerunner to this year's Southfield/Lathrup MLK Peace Walk, to be held Jan. 19.
      Royal Oak [MI] Mirror 25 December 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **High-tech archaeology set for historic [Tuscumbia] landing
      http://tinyurl.com/72ejrr
      Florence Times-Daily 27 December 2008

      **Prattville logo reflects city's history
      http://tinyurl.com/8w4ywj
      Montgomery Advertiser 27 December 2008

      Documentary photography in the 1930s [includes James Agee's Let Us Now Praise Famous Men]
      http://tinyurl.com/847byy
      Vewd 26 December 2008

      **Seven on historic preservation panel [in Madison]
      http://tinyurl.com/7y6qpv
      Huntsville Times 26 December 2008

      **Willis Estates listed to Alabama Register [of Landmarks and Heritage]
      http://tinyurl.com/8o52k5
      Gadsden Times 26 December 2008

      **Civil rights warrior
      [Solomon] Seay blazes courtroom trail for black lawyers
      [Tells his story in new book, "Jim Crow And Me: Stories from my life as a civil rights lawyer" from NewSouth Books]
      http://tinyurl.com/6u2auz
      Montgomery Advertiser 26 December 2008

      **More big plans for Honor Flight
      http://tinyurl.com/a6v5dv
      Huntsville Times 25 December 2008

      **Fire destroys historic Tuscaloosa church
      Beautiful Zion AME was founded in the 1870s
      http://tinyurl.com/9rfct4
      Tuscaloosa News 25 December 2008

      **1956 December 26- African Americans in Birmingham, Alabama begin mass defiance of
              Jim Crow bus laws.

      1956 December 25- The home of Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, a Birmingham,
              Alabama protest leader, is destroyed by a dynamite bomb.
      FROM: Today in Black History
       http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **2008 December 25: Singer/author Jimmy Buffett is 62.

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      December 27: http://tinyurl.com/7uqq52
      December 26: http://tinyurl.com/73mst7
      December 25: http://tinyurl.com/95hy9n
      Mobile Press-Register

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Foley Middle to make documentary
      School one of 10 nationwide and only facility in Alabama chosen to participate in John F. Kennedy Performing Arts Center program
      http://tinyurl.com/86cv52
      Mobile Press-Register 26 December 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no items this issue]

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **[no items this issue]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events