Alabama History/Culture in the News: 19-24 Dec & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Tuskegee Airman site to be closed temporarily [reopens Jan. 8]
      http://tinyurl.com/94eool
      Montgomery Advertiser 23 December 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Madison's history crosses paths with the Jordans
      http://tinyurl.com/8um9ut
      Huntsville Times 24 December 2008

      **Aftter 64 years, U.S. Army to recognize Vestavia Hills veteran Wallace Carden, who was held prisoner by Nazis
      http://tinyurl.com/7qt73o
      Birmingam News 24 December 2008

      **Homewood's commemoratie ornaments now relegated to history
      http://tinyurl.com/74m3p3
      Birmingam News 24 December 2008

      **Stretch of U.S. Highway 278 named for Hayes, Junkins
      "Etowah County Probate Judge Bobby Junkins and the late Sheriff James Hayes..."
      http://tinyurl.com/82pqkf
      Gadsden Times 24 December 2008

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      December 24:
      http://tinyurl.com/8d5luj
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Travels of history [in Selma]
      http://tinyurl.com/8jn6au
      Selma Times-Journal 22 December 2008

      **
      Gene Autry, the Blind Boys Of Alabama, the Four Tops, Hank Jones, Brenda Lee, Dean Martin, and Tom Paxton Honored with The Recording Academy® Lifetime Achievement Award
      http://tinyurl.com/ayv7fx
      Business Wire 22 December 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **[Eagles' Wings Friends and Family] Cookbook a way to help those in need
      http://tinyurl.com/9ornmn
      Tuscaloosa News 24 December 2008

      **Mobile native actor Richard Tyson says he’d like to make more movies in Alabama
      http://tinyurl.com/9ryhax
      Mobile Press-Register blog 23 December 2008

      **Local toymaker [Richard Maroon] shares his joy
      http://tinyurl.com/92su2p
      Huntsville Times 23 December 2008

      **Making memories: Christmas ornaments provide joy for maker, recipients
      [profile of Barb Grimes, who designs new ornaments each year]
      http://tinyurl.com/76fak6
      Montgomery Advertiser 23 December 2008

      **Back to the future
      Photographer Melissa Springer returns to Birmingham, aiding charity with her work
      Birmingham News 23 December 2008, pp 1E, 6E

      **
      A Higher Calling [profile of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played the lead in Capote]
      http://tinyurl.com/74armq
      New York Times Magazine 19 December 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Robert Mulligan, Director, is Dead at 83 [directed To Kill a Mockingbird]
      http://tinyurl.com/8enhyy
      New York Times 23 December 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      *
      *Auburn Faculty Play Crucial Role in Launch of Online Encyclopedia About Alabama
      http://www.auburn.edu/communications_marketing/commons/08fall.pdf
      Auburn Commons fall 2008, p3

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events